Thread: Database Alias

Unanswered: Database Alias

Is there any way in SQLServer (2000) to setup an alias to another SQLServer database?

What I want/need to do is this:

.i have a database for each project but many of the tables schemas/triggers/stored procedures/etc. are common so what I want to do is run one set scripts. I want to essentially set up a project structure so that all specific app databases also include some core stuff.

.for example, consider a Users table (simple example). For two applications we have exactly the same users structure, sprocs, triggers, etc. but we have physically different data. I just want to run the same ddl.

.but the users table has a log associated with it in an associated log database. The trigger (and some historical queries) refer to the explicit log database (App1Log.Users, for example).

.what i'm figuring is that if i could set up an alias to the log database and have the sql code refer to that I'd be able to reuse all the code very neatly:

set logDBAlias = 'App1Log'

insert into logDBAlias.Users etc....

.trouble is I cannot figure out how to alias the log database!

Any ideas?

Thank you.
    Last edited by jhml; 09-27-06 at 09:04.

I don't think this is possible.

In 2005 you can createa a synonym, but a synonym is an alias for an object in a database, not a database.

From BOL:

Synonyms can be created for the following types of objects:

Assembly (CLR) Stored Procedure
    Assembly (CLR) Table-valued Function
    Assembly (CLR) Scalar Function
    Assembly Aggregate (CLR) Aggregate Functions
    Extended Stored Procedure
    SQL Scalar Function
    SQL Table-valued Function
    SQL Inline-table-valued Function
    SQL Stored Procedure
    Table (User-defined)