Unanswered: SQL 2000 Server, Need help creating documentation/disaster recovery plan...

I currently work for a company that has had a "family business" mentality for many years. The only trouble is, it has grown into a fairly large company over the years and that mentality just doesn't cut it anymore (We have around 200 employees in 2 offices, and 25-50 remote users).

I have recently taken over the role of System Administrator, and I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get everything under wraps. There are a LOT of un-documented things happening with our database/web server, and in order to keep things safe & secure, I need to try & flesh out what those mystery settings would be. I feel that NOW is the time to get some solid documentation down, to protect my ass before some critical failure happens.

I'm wading into unknown waters here, and I'm hoping that somebody who's "been there" might have some tips to make my life a little easier.

I have an IBM Bladecenter, and a spare blade with which I can use to re-produce as close to a mirror copy of our system as possible. I have installed windows 2003 /w SQL2000 and restored a full backup of our databases and imported all database user accounts, and logins. What about Maintenance Jobs? Error Logs? Patches/Hotfixes? Service accounts? Membership roles? System databases? ODBC Sources? Services? Startup Scripts? I'm sure the list could go on & on... What are some of the crucial details I should look into?

Has anybody been in this boat before having little knowledge of what was built before you arrived, and have any insight on how to get through this without too much headache?

I wrote an app called SqlSpec that may help you out, at least with understanding all the databases in your system and how they are put together. It generates very comprehensive documenation for any SQL Server 2000 or 2005 database.

The link to it is in my sig below. Hope it helps!

OH MY GOD! This is incredible! This will save me hours maybe even days or weeks....

Well now, I only have one question. I can't seem to get a few of my main databases to work with this software. I have tried on a number of databases (system DBs, Test DBs, and low activity DBs), and they all seem to work. But we have 3 or 4 of our main databases that range from 200MB to 10GB, and I cannot seem to get their info to pull in.

Here is the result from one that failed. Can you tell me what might be going wrong? If I can get this problem sorted out, I will definately be buying this product. It's so slick!

I have bumped up the timeout on this from 60 to 600. Is it normal to be going over that number? I haven't actually timed this, but it seems to die out much before 600 seconds. At any rate, I would hope that I don't have to let this run for 2 hours or something crazy like that, just to connect to it.

Please help me out here. Thanks...
    9/28/2006 3:22:00 PM
    Executing query to: Data Source=<SECRET>;Initial Catalog=<SECRET>;User ID=<SECRET>;Password=<SECRET>
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    It appears the timeout expired while trying to connect to
    SQL Server. Please increase the timeout and try again.
    SqlSpec v2.0.20
    9/28/2006 3:32:00 PM
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    String or binary data would be truncated.
    Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    The statement has been terminated.
    The object does not have any indexes.

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException

.Net SqlClient Data Provider

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlExc eption exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnErro r(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndW arning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.ConsumeMetaDat a()
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataReader.get_MetaData()
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteRead er(SqlDataReader ds, RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderT ds(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader( CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method, DbAsyncResult result)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader( CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteXmlReader( )
    at n.b(String A_0)
    at n.f()
    at o.d()

Looks like a bug I fixed recently but haven't propped officially yet.

can you try this build and see if it works for you: http://www.elsasoft.org/sqlspec_cory.zip

If that doesn't work, let's take this offline so as not to clutter the board with long ugly callstacks - send me mail at sqlspec@elsasoft.org and we'll take it from there.
    Last edited by jezemine; 09-29-06 at 04:09.

Smile

Just to let everybody know, jezemine has been working with me on this, and the product now works flawlessly on the latest version. I must say that this has been the fastest & most dedicated support I've ever received on a peice of software. (makes me wonder where my money goes for support contracts through other vendors )

This thing is everything it promises to be. Elsasoft deserves all of the recognition it can get. Thank you very much.

thanks for the kind words!