Thread: Ocp

Question Unanswered: Ocp

Hi there,

I've done an HND in Computing/Multimedia a while ago now. Since then I have worked in an IT company, got married, had a child and really am lost in what I should persue now that I am ready to go back to work. I was hoping that perhaps you could direct me somewhat, I am more than interested in going into the Oracle professional direction but have no clue as to where to begin, what the ideal course etc would be for me to start in databases. I have searched all over the place including the internet to find some sort of route to becoming an OCP but need the basic building blocks as I have only scratched the surface of learning databases. I know it's a long hard grind but I feel this is what I want to do. If you could give me a place to look, where to start, a course title and where I could study it while balancing a family life, I would be grateful. Any help would be wonderful. Oh and I'm in the UK.

Kind Regards,

Provided Answers: 4
    Oracle University should provide almost all information you need. This link will tell you more about Certification Program (you'll find certification paths in there - first you'll have to become an OCA, and the next step will be OCP). You'll have to decide whether you'll follow DBA or Developer paths (or even both?).

Also, you might want to check this OraFAQ Training & Certification Forum to see what people say about the whole thing (their experiences etc.).

That is great, thank you so much for the info.

I teach Oracle classes here in the US at what we call a vocational school. Essentially, not as rigorous and time consuming as college, but more like on the job training. The school has professionals teach classes to help others "get up to speed" in their chosen area. I don't know if they have these in the UK, but it's worth looking into. I wouldn't recommend an Oracle University class just yet... they tend to cram a bunch of information into a single week and it can be like trying to take a drink from a fire hydrant -- you'll miss far more than you'll actually drink in. Our classes are twice a week for nine weeks, but still covering the same Oracle University material.

One thing I tell my students is that in order to learn something, it has to have some personal application. In the case of databases, I suggest creating a database to catalog something in their home they've always wanted to track: video tape library, car repair logs, kids' progess in school, action hero figurine collection... whatever. You can download Oracle to load on your personal computer for evaluation purposes here... http://www.oracle.com/technology/sof...10g/index.html. I'd suggest installing the Oracle Express Edition as a way to get familiar with the product.

Best wishes and we're here to help if you need it...
    JoeB
    save disk space, use smaller fonts

Thank you, you guys are so helpful...I'm looking into courses at the moment, but it's hard to know what to look for at a beginners level as everything I've looked at so far expects you to know something about databases. I want to learn from scratch as it were and build on the Oracle later if you catch my drift as choosing Oracle is sort of specializing on one product, I want a broader understanding of databases to begin with. Saying all this, the UK are either so behind or just lack the specialized professionals to teach this stuff...I can't even find a course for 3DS Max 8 *rolls eyes*