Unanswered: Data changes when I export from Access report to Excel Spreadsheet

I have two completely separate databases running. On both databases I have the same persons SSN entered. Both databases have the correct SSN on the table and forms and reports. Hwever, when I export the data from a report to excel the SSN changes to a -476460.

This problem is only affecting certain entries. Not all. Also, this problem just arrived when my company upgraded to Office 2003 from Office 2000.

I have checked excel settings, I have converted both databases to 2003 format. I have also tried rebuilding reports. Nothing has worked.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Koop

What is the data type for SSN? Should be text.

an another question

whay are you exporting data to excel - can you undertake the function in access anyway - saves time if you can
    gareth

the data field is a text field and formated for a SSN. Unfortunately, I have to be able to export this info to excel due to other agencies need to be able to further manipulate the data.

Like I said, this is wierd. It worked until I went to Office 2003.

You can try formatting it as specifically text (make it a string) in the query (make a query). I'm not sure if that would work but it might be worth a try. Either that or maybe set the format in the report on that specific field.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Hi

Excel will change text to numbers given half a chance. One option is don't open excel after you have created the file. Another is to prefix the values that could become numbers with a ' to force Excel to treat these values as text.

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Pootle's right that excel likes to treat it as numbers and is probably doing some kind of equation on those fields. Pootle, are you refering to a ' in an expression in a query or in excel sheet? I was thinking of them exporting a query with an expression like - SSNDump: str([SSN])) or possibly even a format command in a column in the query.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 09-30-06 at 21:04.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)