Unanswered: Linked table (MSEXCEL) is not setting fields to Text

Version: MSACCESS2003

I am able to perform a table import and manually select my datatypes for the fields....

However, my current scenario requires that I have several link tables that point to MSEXCEL files... this is easier for the user because they can simply refresh the link to see the latest file...

Here's my problem... I have a INVOICE_NUM field that is formatted to TEXT in MSEXCEL... BUT... when i perform the "link table" process the INVOICE_NUM datatype is number in MSACCES...

The majority of the values are numeric... so I placed a dummy record on the first row and put text values in INVOICE_NUM... still no luck... so my valid INVOICE_NUM values are not appearing properly... I even tried to format the mSEXCEL column before the fact..

ANY SUGGESTIONS on how i can force the MSEXCEL field to format to TEXT when it links into MSACCESS...
    Last edited by spiceman; 09-28-06 at 19:44.

Just to make sure, the format to text in excel was done to the data itself and not as a display?

Correct... it was applied to the text itself... with hopes that the link table will see the format and put the column as text....

That's strange. I have seen where the excel data is display formatted to text [Format-Cells-Number-Text] but because that is not a text format to the underlying data which is still a number, the linked access table correctly attributes as a number and not text. Usually then either an excel formula to convert number to text or your queries in access must convert that attribute to text.