Question Unanswered: How to Query Active Directory

Hello again,

Experts I need to know how create a stored procedure to query Microsoft active directory. I don't know much about active directory but if you could give me a simple query as a starter that would be appreciated. I am using
    oracle 9i enterprise edition Release 9.2.0.7.0. I just want to do something like select * from ? using a ref cursor to return table data. Is there a desc I can do on a table and what is that table. Thanks.

Do you mean the LDAP? What info are you looking to find?

Hello Ida_hoe. Yes from what I am reading after my post was that Microsoft active directory uses LDAP. So yes. I'm looking to find out at the minimum computers, groups, users, security policies for user, however, I think I can get information on the systems these user have access to, who is takin up licenses on particular software packages etc. Basically, I want to see what I can query on and then make a decision, but some of the things I mentioned will give you an idea. Thank Ida-Hoe.

Ok, I would start by looking at http://www.zytrax.com/books/ldap/ch14/ , and maybe from that information you can tell if this is where you need to be. However, I'm inclined to think that you'll find better information using windows WMI. http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com.../ms743518.aspx

Hello Ida_hoe and thanks for the info. Unfortunately this is not what I need as the reason I need an oracle stored procedure is because I want to use crystal reports to tap into that procedure and then run the report for presentation. But thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by MrhelpMe
    Hello Ida_hoe and thanks for the info. Unfortunately this is not what I need as the reason I need an oracle stored procedure is because I want to use crystal reports to tap into that procedure and then run the report for presentation. But thanks for your help.

How current does the data from AD need to be? How often does the data in AD change? If the data does not need to be very current and/or the data in AD does not change very often, then you can simply write an extract to load the AD data into your DB and then query it like any other data. Not necessarily elegant, but effective.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Hello HMScott. Thanks for the feedback. Could you possibly show me with examples how I would extract the data using oracle. I guess I can start with that and then go from there. Could I not also write something to schedule the data to extract any time I want. Your help is appreciated. Thanks.