Unanswered: Video Uploading and Display

Can anyone help me with the following:

Uploading video to database or directory? - if I upload to a directory could I resize it and then make the video bigger

Displaying video and allow playing of video - assume if i store videos in a database that I could call the URL of where the video is stored

Also have another quick question:

http://www.dbforums.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=14

I know this is a query call...how would you do this with your users?

For example: www.dbforums/users.php?user=12321421

Then on the page is all the information for that user displayed (username, age, school, hobbies)

Thanks in advance...

I believe storing video in a db will be your best bet. It should be similar to how you store and retreive a .jpg.

Good luck

Great! How will this effect my monthly bandwidth or disk space? Say I have on average 10,000 uploads a month. Would a database with say 8000MB suffice for this or will I need a dedicated server?

It all depends on what you want to do. If you are looking at 10,000 uploads a month and each upload is on average 5mb per file (decent quality .avi or .mpeg file that is about 1-2 min long) you are looking at 50,000MB storage. Now during the upload process you have used 50,000mb of your bandwith, this excludes the loading of the webpages. Now let say that 5,000 people watch only 1 video a month, that is another 25,000mb bandwith. Also let's say 1000 people decide to download the clip that is another 5,000mb....see where I am going with this? Each time someone uploads/downloads/stream data it count towards your bandwith. There is also storage which is huge, unless you cap peoples storage.

So to answer your question; yes a dedicated server will probably be best.

Another approach might be to create an API with another service like photobucket. Store all you photos and videos there, then the only disk space required on your webserver will be the webpage itself and the video uploading/streaming/downloading will not count towards your bandwith, cause photobucket will deal with that.

Hope this helps
    Good luck

Do a little bit of research on the uploading process. I found a ton of hits by just googling: video uploading PHP script