Unanswered: Postcode Areas SQL Query

Hi,

I am having difficulty creating a query in our access databases to cross examine postcodes. Each client provides a full postcode of their address. I am trying to list how many of our clients that belong to each postcode area. For example the post code area for st4 3hd is st4. I will be most grateful if anyone can help in creating a query which will give total No. of clients grouped by each postcode area.

many thanks

English postcodes are a bit of a pig to handle as they are not consistent in their length. W1 2AB is as valid as WC1X 4FG and G54 2SA. As you can see, the area part of the code can be 2,3 or 4 characters. Having said that, I would suggest splitting the postcodes into Area and Sector. Doing a group and count on the split. Actually, you only need the Area. This function will do the split.

Public Function SplitCode(strPostal As String, booPart As Boolean) As String
    Dim intPosition As Integer
    Dim strCode As String
    strCode = Right(strPostal, 3)
    If booPart Then
    SplitCode = Left(strPostal, InStr(1, strPostal, strCode) - 1)
    Else
    SplitCode = strCode
    End If
    End Function

Use the function in a query. Change the table and field name to suit.

SELECT tblPostCodes.PostCodes, splitcode([postcodes],True) AS Area, splitcode([postcodes],False) AS sector
    FROM tblPostCodes;

Next, run a query grouping and counting, using the split postcode query as the base.

SELECT qrySplitPostCodes.Area, Count(qrySplitPostCodes.Area) AS CountOf
    FROM qrySplitPostCodes
    GROUP BY qrySplitPostCodes.Area;

That should give you grouped postodes and a count.

thats a clever solution, i will give it a try. Thank you!

Hi,
    when i run the query: SELECT tblPostCodes.PostCodes, splitcode([postcodes],True) AS Area, splitcode([postcodes],False) AS sector
    FROM tblPostCodes;

it returns an error message 'Undefined Function 'splitcode' in expression'.

i have changed table name to tblPostCode and the field to postcodes, but still no luck, any suggestions?
    Last edited by waylander; 10-04-06 at 07:40.

Copy and paste the code into a module.

working fine many thanks

hi it is now coming back with following error message: Ambigous name in query expression 'SplitCode([postcode_incode],True)'.

what does this mean and how do i fix????

Smile

Code:
    SELECT Left([Zip],InStr([zip]," ")-1) AS PCArea
    FROM YourTableName
    WHERE (((InStr(Trim([zip])," "))>0))
    GROUP BY Left([Zip],InStr([zip]," ")-1)
    ORDER BY Left([Zip],InStr([zip]," ")-1);
    Works like a charm, no matter how many characters are in the Area! I needed the WHERE clause because we have mostly 5-digit Zip Codes here in the US.

Sam

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Landy
    Code:
    SELECT Left([Zip],InStr([zip]," ")-1) AS PCArea
    FROM YourTableName
    WHERE (((InStr(Trim([zip])," "))>0))
    GROUP BY Left([Zip],InStr([zip]," ")-1)
    ORDER BY Left([Zip],InStr([zip]," ")-1);
    Works like a charm, no matter how many characters are in the Area! I needed the WHERE clause because we have mostly 5-digit Zip Codes here in the US.

Sam
    one potential issue I can see here is that you are callking the same function 3 times per row. May not be an issueif your dataset is quite small, but could becoem an issue if you have many K of postcodes...say 100K plus)

also I'd prefer to see left$( used in place of left(...again for performance reasons.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    one potential issue I can see here is that you are callking the same function 3 times per row. May not be an issueif your dataset is quite small, but could becoem an issue if you have many K of postcodes...say 100K plus)
    You're right, of course, but the workaround is potentially costly as well. My suggestion for a workaround is rather simple, actually. In the same table, have an Integer field that would calculate every time a Post Code is entered or changed, namely the position of the space, where
    Code:
    FieldName = InStr(fldPostCode," ")
    Then you wouldn't need the Left() and InStr() functions in triplicate in each row; just use the value of the field.

Sam