Unanswered: Moving SQL Server out of a domain

Hi

We have a SQL Server 2000 (SP4) that is in the domain and runs under a domain account. We wanted to move it to an area with no access to the domain so I removed the machine from the domain, rebooted. SQL Server would not start because it was set to run under the domain account -- fair enough So I set the account to be system in the services control panel applet. SQL Server would still not run, it tried to run netlogon then that failed as it was not in a domain. I rejoined the domain and the SQL Server is happy again (and still running under local system).

Was the problem that is was set to load under a domain account when the machine was booted? Is there something else I must do to get it running out of the domain?

Quote Originally Posted by KillerApp
    Hi

We have a SQL Server 2000 (SP4) that is in the domain and runs under a domain account. We wanted to move it to an area with no access to the domain so I removed the machine from the domain, rebooted. SQL Server would not start because it was set to run under the domain account -- fair enough So I set the account to be system in the services control panel applet. SQL Server would still not run, it tried to run netlogon then that failed as it was not in a domain. I rejoined the domain and the SQL Server is happy again (and still running under local system).

Was the problem that is was set to load under a domain account when the machine was booted? Is there something else I must do to get it running out of the domain?
    During installation, when you specify the server to run under a Domain account, M$ "secures" several folders in the <install path>\Microsoft SQL Server\ directory. The account used to secure these folders is the same account under which SQL is set to run.

To remove a server from the domain:
    1. Use EM to change the service account under which SQL runs. Set it either to localsystem or a local account on the server (my preference).
    2. Verify that SQL Agent is also set to run either under localsystem or a local account.
    3. Then remove the member server from the domain.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioend that the server was not orogianlly installed running under a domain account -- it was converted. I assume the advice is the same?

Quote Originally Posted by KillerApp
    Hi

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioend that the server was not orogianlly installed running under a domain account -- it was converted. I assume the advice is the same?
    I should think so. If the service account was changed through the EM GUI, I believe that M$ changes permissions on the appropriate folders automagically. If the service account was changed ONLY in using the Services GUI, then I can't be certain.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?