Unanswered: easier email alerts from sql 7/2000?

hi,

i get just as frustrated each time i try to configure email alerts on failed jobs on ms sql, it is beyond me why microsoft couldn't just let you point out an SMTP server to send through and be done with it.

is there a way to avoid having to setup an email client on our sql 7 and 2000 servers through some 3rd party app or other simple solution?

thanks in advance,
    daniel

Quote Originally Posted by kirigoe
    hi,

is there a way to avoid having to setup an email client on our sql 7 and 2000 servers through some 3rd party app or other simple solution?

thanks in advance,
    daniel
    Amen, brother!

You do have some options:

1. There are some 3rd party tools to (sort of) accomplish what you are trying to do. They are not supported, however. Look at www.sqldev.net.

2. You can add additional steps to the jobs you wish to monitor (and set the task order to on failure).

3. You can upgrade to SQL 2005. This is not quite as awful as it sounds and getting to Database Mail (which is SMTP) is a major benefit!

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Quote Originally Posted by hmscott
    Amen, brother!

You do have some options:

1. There are some 3rd party tools to (sort of) accomplish what you are trying to do. They are not supported, however. Look at www.sqldev.net.

2. You can add additional steps to the jobs you wish to monitor (and set the task order to on failure).

3. You can upgrade to SQL 2005. This is not quite as awful as it sounds and getting to Database Mail (which is SMTP) is a major benefit!

Regards,

hmscott
    1. thanks, i'll check them out. but maybe it's just easier to parse the errorlogs of both servers for failed backups from some php script.

2. do you mean add a step with the "operating system command" type and execute some external program to send alerts?

3. the sql7 server hosts 67 databases, the sql2000 server hosts 38, most of them production databases so it's still a scary thought time-wise