Thread: Tablespace

Question Unanswered: Tablespace

I'm faced with this problem and trying to figure out a way to solve it.

If a database uses directory-managed tablespaces. In running various performance tuning scripts, one of these tablespaces seems to have run out of space long before I calculated that it would. In tracking activity in the tablespace, the process of tables being created, then dropped and re-created, with different storage settings, has been excessive.

Please explain why the tablespace might have a problem,
    what actions can I take to minimize this problem?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Vybez; 10-05-06 at 11:52.

This looks like homework to me. For example, this question looks like extracted from a book or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Vybez
    I'm faced with this problem and trying to figure out a way to solve it.

If a database uses directory-managed tablespaces. In running various performance tuning scripts, one of these tablespaces seems to have run out of space long before I calculated that it would. In tracking activity in the tablespace, the process of tables being created, then dropped and re-created, with different storage settings, has been excessive.

Please explain why the tablespace might have a problem,
    what actions can I take to minimize this problem?

Thanks in advance
    Directory managed tablespace? Everything I have read/heard is export the data, drop the tablespace and then re-import the data into a new table space that has been created as locally managed.

Alternatively, what I did on an 8i database was to create a locally managed tablespace and then rebuild the objects on the new tablespace. I forget the exact syntax, but I was able to script it all off and it went well.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?