Unanswered: Common sequence?

Hi

In my schema I have something like 100 LOV tables (each LOV-table has a one-field PK).
    I want to define sequence/s for these PKs, and I have 2 options:
    1. Sequence for each PK - the standard way, I guess.
    2. One common sequence for all PKs.

I find the second option very convenient, but I'm not sure whether it is OK to implement this way and I'll be happy to get some help

You can assume that new records for all LOV-tables are not inserted often.

Thanks in advance

Provided Answers: 4
    I'd rather see one sequence for all tables; the main purpose is to have a unique value for an ID, and a sequence will provide this. At the moment, I don't se a valid reason to create hundred (or more) sequences and attach every of them with "its own" table.

There's a schema in our production database with ~1000 tables, and all primary key columns are populated using only one sequence. It works just fine (or, if not, nobody complained to me).

Yep I dont see a problem as long as you arent using these sequences heavily i.e. you dont have lots of concurrent transactions using the sequence, otherwise it can become a bottleneck.

Alan

We use one sequence rather than many... in our experience, we found it was confusing to developers as to which sequence to use when writing code that adds records. Of course, this could be easily compensated for by writing insert triggers for a table that use the appropriate sequence and avoid having the developer choose.

So, multiple sequences are certainly usable, but takes careful management, whereas a single sequence is easier to manage. I suppose a conclusion I would draw is that it depends...

My recommendation is single sequence as well.
    JoeB
    save disk space, use smaller fonts

Thumbs down

I have something like 100 LOV tables (each LOV-table has a one-field PK).
    If every LOV table has a PK, why define sequences?

I recommend NO sequences, what is the purpose?

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Remark removed.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

I dont understand the requirement also if there's a key already in the table.

I think he means that the PK is a synthetic one created from the sequence i.e. a table with (id, value) where id is generated by the sequence.

Alan

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanP
    Yep I dont see a problem as long as you arent using these sequences heavily i.e. you dont have lots of concurrent transactions using the sequence, otherwise it can become a bottleneck.
    If those are "real" LOV tables, then I'd assume that there won't be any transactions at all once the reference data has been created...

Well, perhaps "no transactions at all" is a little bit too restrictive; now and then there IS a need to add a few records (but this fact shouldn't affect performance).

Provided Answers: 12
    Of course, the usual maintenance stuff to adjust the LOVs to the application. I was more referring to "concurrent" transactions which might not take place during application maintenance and would be the potential bottleneck of the single sequence solution.

We have 185 tables in a schema, each with it's own sequence.
    Using one sequence for all tables gives you two things - a small delay ( significant when you have hundreds of simultaneous transactions) and sequence - skipping ( not only do your PK id's are miles apart because the sequence is used for all tables, but if two transactions request a sequence simultaneously you will lose some id's because the sequence reserves some for each transaction), getting a 10.000.000 id only for 4.000.000 records.

I found that the best way of using one sequence per table and not confusing them is just naming the sequences <table_name>_SEQ ( prefixing the table name to the sequence name).

OK, but WHY would anyone want to have consecutive primary key values? It shouldn't matter whether there are "1, 2, 3, ..." or "1241241, 982928742, 2412424, ...", as long as they are unique. Some other columns should, perhaps, be used to help "humans" identify them, but - froim database's point of view - it really doesn't matter.

Moreover, even if you use 1 table : 1 sequence, there's no guarantee that there won't be gaps in a sequence.

Yes, that is true, but I don't really like having extremely large sequence numbers.
    The maximum sequence that can be generated is 1E+27, one octillion, and although the database can hold the number, if you use an integer to hold the id in your application (just for the purpose of discussion) which is +2^31-1 in size, you have a problem, that's why I like to keep them as small as possible.

The big issue here is not that I didn't like it, it's that after a few million records and simultaneous transactions you get performance issues.

Read this asktom article