Thread: Grades Oracle

Unanswered: Grades Oracle

Hi guys,

Could anyone grade for us Oracle on the next things from 10 (fantastic) to 0 (terrible):

-Open Source (yes = 10, no = 0)
    -Web based
    -Speed over the Internet
    -Easy to make (compared to C,C++,Delphi,Java,MySQL,MS SQL,MS Access,PHP)
    -Time it takes to build
    -Platform (use on Linux etc.)
    -Accessible (nice GUI possible?)
    -Possibilities (compared to the above languages again)

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by VDG; 10-09-06 at 11:22.

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG
    -Open Source (yes = 10, no = 0)
    0, closed source, but that should be obvious by looking at the website!
    -Web based
    How should a DBMS be web-based????
    -Speed over the Internet
    How can you grade that? It depends on the data transmitted, on the implementation of the client, on the internet connection of server & client, on your ISP. Can vary between 0 and 10
    -Easy to make (compared to C,C++,Delphi,Java,MySQL,MS SQL,MS Access,PHP)
    Make what? Your question is mixing DBMS and programming languages. It does not make any sense.
    -Time it takes to build
    Build what?
    -Platform (use on Linux etc.)
    I'd say a 10 because it supports all major platforms (and some non-major as well!)
    -Accessible (nice GUI possible?)
    Any GUI is possible, so it's a 10
    -Possibilities (compared to the above languages again)
    Which above languages. Oracle is not a language, it is a RDBMS (unless you are talking about either the Application Server or Oracle Forms, or PL/SQL, or XMLdb ...)

thanks for your comments shammat, maybe i should make myself a little more clear about what we need it for. we need to build a database that is accessible from a website, about publications from people on our university. it should look nice and be easy to use and to update. in the end we will have to use a combination of different ones, probably will be a combination of java and mysql, the way it looks now. i know there is a big difference between java, ms access and oracle but we have to look at all our options, and like i said use a combination of them. since i (obviously) do not have any knowledge about oracle, i added it in our report for completeness. so by speed for example i mean: java/mysql is obviously slower in loading then a plain text file.

Quote Originally Posted by shammat
    How should a DBMS be web-based????
    maybe web based was a wrong translation, i meant specifically created for web use. but since ebay is powered by it, i guess it will get a 10 on this one?

Provided Answers: 12
    we need to build a database that is accessible from a website, about publications from people on our university
    Wrong starting point. You want to create a web-based application that will display information about publications. That might or might not be backed by a "database". I'm not sure you do understand the concept of a relational database completely. It servers as a "storage" for information. That makes it independent from the actual front end you use. If designed properly you can make your application independent from the actual storage "engine" (allowing you to switch from text files to XML files over to a RDMBS).
    java/mysql is obviously slower in loading then a plain text file.
    Wrong again if put that way. Say I have 50 million contact "records", and I want to fetch all of them which are located in my hometown and had a sales turnover of more than 10.000 EUR last month. Do you really think that Java/MySQL (or any other RDBMS) would be slower than a sequential search through text files?
    but we have to look at all our options
    Sorry to say that again, but (I think) you are wrong again. It sounds like you do have some experience with application development. If you do, you should first investigate what knowledge you have in your team to build an application. Use that technology, especially if you are on a tight time-frame.

If you have the choice, you should first gather the requirements for your application and than check which technology will be able to cope with that. The questions "Eays to make" or "Speed over internet" do not reflect any requirements and nobody will be able to answer that.

I can create a web enabled application backed by a RDBMS that will be blasingly fast or horribly slow. That depends completely on the design of the application and the database model.