Thread: Table Design

Unanswered: Table Design

In Access you can create an Autonumber field as your primary key and then a second field for description. Ex.

ID---Desc
    1----Something
    2----Whatever
    3----Something Else

Then in a table with the foreign key show the description instead of the ID by setting the field (at the table level) to a combo box, ex.

ID-----------Field2-------Field3
    Something---2345--------?
    Something---3424--------!
    Whatever----4567--------#

Anyone know how I can replicate this in SQL Server? Is it possible?

Provided Answers: 6
    That's the dreaded lookup field "feature" in Access. I can't think of an equivalent in SQL Server. I wouldn't have looked for it though, as I'm one of those that hate that feature.
    Paul

Agree with Paul. I've never use it ... Don't think it can be done in SQL Server ... It's a REAL rdms ... Keep in mind too that this "feature" is a helper on in the sense that if you make a form and directly expose a table to the user where that lookup is needed ... But who in the hell in their right mind would do something that asinine??? Not any REAL programmer ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

I am not in a typical programmer/user environment. About 80% I am the user and I tend to use the feature to speed up my table driven applications. Rather than spending alot of time creating forms to do what I want, I will do it at the table level.

Hi DC

Nope - defo not available available in SQL Server. If you posted in the SQL Server forum you would be told that it is a presentation issue and not something an RDBMS would get involved with. Even in Access this is a presentation feature but because you set it at the table it seems as though it is "part of the table".

I'm all for keeping as much validation as possible as close to the data as possible but this is one convenience too far.

You want it to save time? Presumably you must have to use this\ these combos regularly - why not just copy and paste them to your forms as and when required?

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.