Thread: Message popup

Unanswered: Message popup

Is there a way to send a logoff msg/notify to all connected sessions in Oracle. They are using a telnet emulator into a UNIX server and use a character based Oracle form. The O/S command "write" freezes the form they are working on.

Provided Answers: 4
    When we send a reply message to our users (this should be VMS equivalent to UNIX's write command) (and yes, there is also a telnet emulator (Reflection in our case)), screen gets "shuffled", but refreshing the screen (Ctrl+R in Reflection, just in case you use it too) brings everything back.

Things you would like to do *might* be possible in Oracle, but I don't know how to do it easily. Not that I'd know to explain how to do it in a complex way either, but - in my opinion, messages should be sent at the operating system level, not database.

Could you, perhaps, change the operating system used to dispatch messages? Telnet emulators run on ... what? MS Windows machines? As all of them connect to the database, there must be a working network there. So, can't you send a message through Windows (client) instead of UNIX (server)? Doing so, they would get a popup window, click <OK> (or whatever) and terminate telnet session.

There are 105 databases running on a Enterprise HP-UX 11.11 server. The message must only reach the connected session of one DB. It could be anyone. The emulator is RUMBA. I'm told WINS is falling away so NETSEND or MSG would be a short term solusion. I was hoping to send something in Java or thru a shocket connection or something.