Unanswered: Change Unc Path On Sql

I have a question on how to change a hyperlink path. I have an ADP that has our scanned files linked to it the path is on SQL server. The problems is that we are migrating sql server and the files to their own seperate server,
    Code:
    \\gcfs01\database\Backgrounds\SCANNED ACROBAT DOCUMENTS (BACKGROUNDS)\SCANNED ACTIVE FILES\5630.pdf
    The server is called \\gcfsql\ Instead of gcfs01.
    does anyone know how we can change the unc path to gcfsql without

\\gcfsQL\database\Backgrounds\SCANNED ACROBAT DOCUMENTS (BACKGROUNDS)\SCANNED ACTIVE FILES\5630.pdf

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Not sure I understand the question fully. Do you mean you have a bunch of UNC paths stored in a table and you want to update the server name in each path?

If so, you could do something like this:

update mytable set path = replace(path,'\\oldserver\','\\newserver\')

Talking Thank you Jezemine

See the thing is that we have about over 2000 employees who get an employee number and their file is saved in the old server as their number
    and the only thing we need to change is the destination server the rest is fine but I dont want to mess anything up. Know what I mean, so I'm asking the Gurus

Provided Answers: 11
    Run Jezemine's replace statement as a select to see what it produces. Unless any of your employees have "\\" in their filenames, it should give you what you want.

is this ok?/

Code:
    update EmployeeDocuments set EmployeeDocs = replace(\\gcfs01\database\Backgrounds\SCANNED ACROBAT DOCUMENTS (BACKGROUNDS)\SCANNED ACTIVE FILES,'\\gcfs01\','\\gcsql\')

no, don't run that. it will update every record with the same value. certainly not what you want. you want this:

update EmployeeDocuments set EmployeeDocs = replace(EmployeeDocs,'\\gcfs01\','\\gcsql\')
    Last edited by jezemine; 10-12-06 at 17:02.

You realize this goes against Normalization. In a disaster recovery situation, you may be saddled with this breaking again - just when you least have time for it. Or you may want to create a test environment and wind up with someone updating the production employee records.

Things like "where we keep stuff" and "the servername we keep it on" should be in a central place and never hard coded into "each employee's record" - unless that can be different for different groups of employees.

A little late to fix, but something to file away in the brain for the next time this sort of design decision arises.

Talking Jezermine

Thats exactly what I did and it worked.

first I changed the ntext data type to nvchar(300)
    and it worked .

Thank you guys worked like a charm

Thank you Vich

its just that we are changing servers thats all and we wanted to change the path from the old server to the new server thats all.