Unanswered: remote access for informmix DB

can i remote access to informix DB? if yes, how should i do it?
    thanks

On what platform is IDS installed? On UNIX you can access the server with remote shell (from UNIX), secure shell and telnet (both from UNIX and Windows).

On Windows you could use telnet or secure shell but for both a server has to be installed (freeware) on the databasehost. For NT4 along with the IDS came the "Informix Enterprise" tool to be installed on the server or the client, for newer OS versions and UNIX of course the "Server Studio" tool is available.

If it's only the databases you want to approach on UNIX you can access them remotely with the dbaccess tool installed on the client but the simplest way I think would be through an ODBC (or JDBC) connection (both UNIX and Windows clients). ODBC and JDBC drivers are downloadable here: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data.../pubs/library/

Regards

Im working on Windows environment.
    my scenario is something like this:
    I have pc A and B. I have install the informix database in pc A. I want to use pc B to access the database. Both Pcs reside at different network.
    How should i go about it?
    I am writing a code (using JAVA), at pc B, to insert values into the database in pc A. How should my database url be like?

currently my database URL is :jdbc:informix-sqli:325ff33b:1526/infodoc:informixserver=ol_s_152120_121021

How should i change the database url path to? so that it target to the database at the other pc.
    Last edited by carebear_123; 10-12-06 at 06:40.

Hi, I've been checking some things out but I can't give a conclusion right now. The only thing I know is that JDBC can only connect through tcp connections so I wonder if a MAC-address is appropriate in the connectionstring. I would try it with a resolveable hostname or an IP address, in which case you'll have to make the networks connecting of course. Also I would write the 'informixserver=' parameter in uppercase since that's given in the examples in the JDBC programmers guide.

Regards