Question Unanswered: Increasing string to 3000

Hello all, I wanted to ask how to change my string allotment from 255 to 3000? I am currently brining data from a stored procedure to Crystal 8.5. The data being pulled has some fields that are about 2500 in size. When it's pulled into Crystal, it cuts off anything over 255. Can someone tell me how to get the string fields to accept a larger number of characters?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanetta76
    Hello all, I wanted to ask how to change my string allotment from 255 to 3000? I am currently brining data from a stored procedure to Crystal 8.5. The data being pulled has some fields that are about 2500 in size. When it's pulled into Crystal, it cuts off anything over 255. Can someone tell me how to get the string fields to accept a larger number of characters?
    Thank you.
    I am not sure about v.8 but you can try this...check the Can grow and set Max number of lines as 0 .
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Sir Winston Churchill
    Joydeep

Increasing string to 3000

It still cuts off at 255. Is there any other way to increase the field?

This is a known restriction until CR 10. To solve this problem, create SQL expresions that return portions of the target field. These SQL expressions will have code like this:
    sql_Exp1: SUBSTR(Tab1.Field1, 1,254)
    sql_Exp2: SUBSTR(Tab1.Field1, 255,254)
    sql_Exp3: SUBSTR(Tab1.Field1, 509,254).
    Continue to create so many SQL expressions until your target field size is achieved. Now, place a text box on the report, and embed all these SQL expressions into the text box. Dont forget to enable 'Can Grow' option on the text box.. and you are done.. you can display a string of literrally any length.

Good Luck