Unanswered: After installing oracle 8i database I can not log on (was "Beginner with problems")

Hi to every body,
    I am a beginner in oracle wishing grow in it. After installing oracle 8i database I can not log on. requesting for username, password and host string, please is my installation complete and correct? Please some one respond.

Provided Answers: 4
    It is difficult to guess what might be wrong; you gave too few information. What does it mean "I can not log on"? What happens? Do you get any ORA error messages? If so, which one (its code)?

Is the installation finished? I don't know - it usually says when it finishes. Did you see a message saying "installation finished successfully" or something like that?

Provided Answers: 1
    otukpa, assuming that your database was installed correctly you need to log on using one of the default accounts (e.g. SYS, SYSTEM) with its default password.

Default accounts? Default passwords? It's all in the manual; you just have to read up on it
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

Thanks to all that responded to my quest. I will really sit up to study this very well, I know this forum is the right place to be if one reaaly want learn more harder.

Otukpa

Actually, not knowing username + password combination is a trivial problem (if that is the only thing that prevents you from connecting to the database). Default ones are SYS/CHANGE_ON_INSTALL and SYSTEM/MANAGER; default schema which will allow you to test your SQL abilities is SCOTT/TIGER (which might be locked, so you'll need to unlock it first).

But, if this is not the point, describe it and we'll see what next.

Thanks, because I am making progress. I got the username and the password, however, please I will need to border you more than what you think. Kindly enligthen on what this error stands for {ORA - 12154: TNS: could not resolve service name}. Does this mean I am suppose to point to a particular datbase, what is TNS?

This is what Oracle says about it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle
    ORA-12154 TNS:could not resolve service name

Cause: The service name specified is not defined correctly in the TNSNAMES.ORA file.

Action: Make the following checks and correct the error:

Verify that a TNSNAMES.ORA file exists and is in the proper place and accessible. See the operating system specific manual for details on the required name and location.

Check to see that the service name exists in one of the TNSNAMES.ORA files and add it if necessary.

Make sure there are no syntax errors anywhere in the file. Particularly look for unmatched parentheses or stray characters. Any error in a TNSNAMES.ORA file makes it unusable. See the Oracle Net Services Administrator's Guide. If possible, regenerate the configuration files using the Oracle Network Manager.
    TNS is abbreviation of Transparent Network Substrate (it is the name of Oracle's network architecture).