Thread: SqlSpec

SqlSpec

I am trying to get the word out about a shareware app I have written, called SqlSpec. It will generate docs for any SQL Server 2000/2005 or Analysis Server 2005 database. It has received very good feedback from those who have tried it so far: http://www.elsasoft.org/testimonials.htm

Recently, SqlSpec received a very positive review on sql-server-performance.com if you want an unbiased opinion http://www.sql-server-performance.co...da_sqlspec.asp

Link to it is in my sig below. Cheers, thanks for looking

Impressive Jessie -

I'll give it a whirl.

Is it just a paper document, or does it have a search engine and organizer?

For example: We just made an AR (Accounts Receivable) system change adding a payment type of "Reversal" (it reverses out a bounced check payment). This impacts everything that adds up our money balance. Some reports will need a new colum (or at least subtotal). Statements will be changed to reflect the reversal.

So; I had the programmer take a fresh extract of all Stored Procedures and VIEWs and do a search for PaymentTypeID (because some earlier programmers have hard coded the ID). Also all programs and Crystal Reports. We have very few Triggers so that's not an issue.

A tool where we say "hey, what are all the database objects that reference PaymentTypeID?" would be worth the $50 on the first go.

What's your site license (ummm, for 2 programmers on 1 production SQL Server)?

It's also significant if it actually uses this column in procedural programming in conditional or operational operators (= > < etc), or is it just part of a JOIN. Often local variables were created that got set to this value - and they were subsequently used.

Does it have an object browser that makes the research process very fast? IE: I'd like to search all occurances of PaymentTypeID and browse each in an editor window, click "NEXT" for the next one, etc. Maybe even flag the ones I want to re-test. So the whole review process takes about 20 minutes - with a nice TODO list printed of the ones I want to test.

He had to spend about 3 hours compiling a Word document so he can start reviewing them all. He offered to scan through the MASTER table but that can be hit-n-miss.

So - would your tool do the referencing work for us? Can it ignore all the references that are just JOINs and only show us those that explicitly reference the column?

For that matter; I'd like to search all objects that use ANYTHING on that table, not just the ID.
    Last edited by vich; 10-12-06 at 20:51.

Quote Originally Posted by vich
    Is it just a paper document, or does it have a search engine and organizer.
    It will generate html or chm. chms are indexed so you can easily search them for any keyword. Here's an example chm it generated for AdventureWorks (the db sample that comes with SQL Server 2005): http://www.elsasoft.org/chm/adventureworks.zip. In the navigation tree on the left hand side, click the Search tab and type EmployeeID and you'll see all the objects that reference this column. When you select a page title from the results, the text EmployeeID will be highlighted everywhere it occurs in the selected page.

A tool where we say "hey, what are all the database objects that reference PaymentTypeID?" would be worth the $50 on the first go.
    Yes, it would be very easy to answer this question with sqlspec if you generate a chm and then search for "PaymentTypeID".

What's your site license (ummm, for 2 programmers on 1 production SQL Server)?
    If you buy 5 or more licenses, I'll give you a 20% discount.

He had to spend about 3 hours compiling a Word document so he can start reviewing them all. He offered to scan through the MASTER table but that can be hit-n-miss.
    ugh. those hours could have been reduced to a few minutes with sqlspec

So - would your tool do the referencing work for us? Can it ignore all the references that are just JOINs and only show us those that explicitly reference the column?
    It can't distinguish between referencing the column in a join and some other type of reference. It can show you dependencies at the object level (not column level). And you can search by keyword. so if you want to find out who references a column, you would have to do a search in the chm (described above).

Feel free to try out the eval version - it's fully featured. the only drawback is the strategically placed nag text in the output.
    Last edited by jezemine; 10-13-06 at 00:26.

Just a quick note to let you all know SqlSpec now supports MS Access 97/2000/XP/2003.

and now it supports MySQL 5.0 and up! Oracle coming soon!

quick update, lots more platforms added. Now sqlspec supports:

SQL Server
    Oracle
    DB2
    MySQL
    PostgreSQL
    Analysis Server
    Access

Today I added Sybase ASE to the list above. Here's a sample: http://www.elsasoft.org/summer.pubs3

That ought to cover 99% of the RDBMS market...

pick it up at the link in my sig below.