Unanswered: Creating a database

I have an excel document that I would like to put in a database. That database should count the number of tickets created by each tech rep; list the area, sub area and description of call created by a user. Can access perform this task and if yes, any idea I to approach that project. And access won't be able to do please make a suggestion.

Hi,

If your data is well structured (set up in list/s, tables of data), then doing this should be trivial in Excel or Access or any other database. (If not, then change the structure of your data first.) Then within Excel you can use a pivot table or query table. Or, via Access, link to the data in Excel and report from Access.

HTH
    Fazza

i import it to access, can i create a form in access where you can select a tect name and date and range, the result should give all the ticket created by the rep and included area, subarea, descriotion and status. below is the list of fields i have.

SRS Started Call Description Area Sub Area Request Status Closed Date Created By

I rarely use Access, so can't answer authoritavely. I imagine what you are asking is straightforward in Access.

I note this can be done in Excel. Use of a form is not necessary, you can simply nominate a few cells and change them. If these are dependent cells in a parameterized query the results will generate automatically with a change to the cell values. This does not require VBA or formulae; just the SQL for the query.

HTH,
    Fazza

That sort of thing is quite basic in Access "if you know how to"

Basically, a form in Access serves to display information from a table or query and also allows you to click on buttons or labels which run visual basis or macros.

To select a range of records you can either filter by macro or VB. If do that and we assume that yo are selecting 10 records out of 100 then the bottom of the form will show.....1 of 10 filtered....If release the filter then form will show 1 of 100 records.

You can also select the records with a query and this query is used to supply the records for display in the form. The query itslef can have selection criteria that is based on data on open forms.

You can also have different queries made that are using different selection criteria and with a simple macro you can change the query that is the record source for the form.