Thread: ORA-00979 error

Unanswered: ORA-00979 error

Oracle10g R2 on Solaris8.
    Component: Enterprise Manager 10g, database console

I am trying to administer user settings through database control but unable to do so... The user account is not locked. Besides, I can view properties for other entities like Tables, Datafiles etc...

I get the following error:
    An error occured when processing this request. Please check the log file emoms.log for a complete stack trace.Failed to initialize object:ORA-00979: not a GROUP BY expression

So searched the metalink for the above error. They seem to point to a bug in oracle9i but say that should be fixed in 10g howver, I feel it is not relevant to my context.

Any clues as to what could be wrong?

Croatia, Europe
    Provided Answers: 4
    There must be a query which has a group function (such as MAX, AVG, COUNT, ...) and one or more columns (or expressions) which are not included into the GROUP BY clause.

It would be easy to solve it if it was your query, but regarding the fact that this is about Oracle Enterprise Manager (and, as it seems, a background query), I can only suggest you to administer user settings through SQL*Plus and forget about OEM.

thanks for the response.. yes I figured that but it was working fine last week...

Anyway, workaround was to grant privileges through scripts.. however, I was curious to know the reason why everything works except "users/roles etc"...