Unanswered: Any idea as to why do I get #Name? in two of the fields when run AutoForm: Tabular?

Dear Friends, I have a misterious problem. I have created an AutoForm: Tabular based on a query. 3 of the fields used in this continuous form are currency filed. One is ClientAmountLessVAT and other two are ClientAmountRcvd and ClientUnderPaidby. I have also created a combox field which is sourced from the clients tabel and pulls out clients information. When I select a client from the combox/dropdown menue, brings up all unpaid invoices. Now the problem is: two of these fields (ClientAmountRcvd and ClientUnderPaidby) fields appear as #Name?.

I checked the actual query and in there all the fields are ok but when i comes to form it is not.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thank you for your time.
    Emi-UK
    Love begets Love, Help Begets Help

Provided Answers: 19
    #Name? usually indicates the data is not available to the field on the form.
    I...created a combox field which is sourced from the clients tabel
    Using the Combobox Wizard's retrieval of records method assumes, I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the Combobox is based on the same table or query as the form. The Combobox is pulling data from the Clients table and I'm guessing that the trouble fields reside in another table.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

The combobox is on the same form but the actual form is based on a query called qryClientAmountReceived and the Combobox searches another table called CLIENT and in the rowsource of the combobox this is what I have written:
    SELECT Client.id, Client.Name FROM Client ORDER BY Client.Name;
    Also when I open the form, without selecting a client from the combobox, there is already few 5 records from a client whose name is not even selcted from the combobox. The strange thing is that in at this time beore selecting any client from the combobox, all the fields appear correctly i.e. including those two fields that show as
    #Name?

I would really appreciate your time and help.
    Emi-UK

Your combobox, I think, needs to be based on the same query as your form! The combobox is locating a record in your CLIENT table, which I'm assuming doesn't include the problem fields. The fields show up when the form loads because they are included in the qryClientAmountReceived.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

I have changed the Row Source of the Combobox to
    SELECT Client.id, Client.Name FROM qryClientsPaymentReceived ORDER BY Client.Name;
    which I think means that the combobox pulls data from the same query as the form. But even then it has not solved the problem but actually added a new problem as well which is, in the combobox I now get one client more than 1 time depending on how many records are enterd against each client in the table.

Do I need to do anything else as well?
    Emi-UK

I would simply trash the combobox you have and place a new one on the form and use the Combobox Wizard to set it up, using the same query as the form. I've had troble at times in the past when switching data sources within a control, and resolved it by creating a new box. I'm also not clear on how your data is set up. You really should be using a unique identifier to find and pull the desired record. You sound as if you have multiple records with the same ID and Client Name. If this is true, then you will pull multiple records up in your combobox.
    Hope this helps!

Wink Feel free to send on the database

I assume that you are attempting to display on the form the details of the record selected in the combobox.

Questions
    1. What is the source of your form.
    2. Is the combobox bound to any field
    3. Are the two fields that displaying #Name selected in the query

If you want, please feel free to send me a copy of the database and I will be more than happy to look at it for you.
    Mona

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq
    I would simply trash the combobox you have and place a new one on the form and use the Combobox Wizard to set it up, using the same query as the form. I've had troble at times in the past when switching data sources within a control, and resolved it by creating a new box. I'm also not clear on how your data is set up. You really should be using a unique identifier to find and pull the desired record. You sound as if you have multiple records with the same ID and Client Name. If this is true, then you will pull multiple records up in your combobox.

Hi Missingling, No I do not have multiple records with the same ID and client name.
    Emi-UK

Quote Originally Posted by mona
    I assume that you are attempting to display on the form the details of the record selected in the combobox.

Questions
    1. What is the source of your form.
    2. Is the combobox bound to any field
    3. Are the two fields that displaying #Name selected in the query

If you want, please feel free to send me a copy of the database and I will be more than happy to look at it for you.
    Hi Mona, Yes you are right, I want to display on the form the details of records selected in the combobox. With regards to your questions:
    The Record Source of the form is: SELECT * FROM qryClientsPaymentReceived WHERE [Client.id]=261;
    Answer to your 2nd question: No the combobox is an unbound object and its Row Souce has this in it: SELECT Client.id, Client.Name FROM Client ORDER BY Client.Name; Do you thinkthis should do the work? Because it is not doing as it is expected to.

Answer to question 3: Both the fields do exist in the query on which the form is based.
    you can view the design view of the form. I hope this may give you some more idea with my problems.
    Thank you and missiling for your time and responses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fromscreenshot.JPG  
    Emi-UK

Cool

Hi Emal, have you checked this out in the Help section?

#Error? or #Name? appears in a control on a form or report.
    #Error? or #Name? may appear in a control for a number of reasons. To correct the problem, do the following:

Make sure that the field specified in the control's ControlSource property hasn't been removed from the underlying table or other record source.

Check the spelling of the field name in the control's ControlSource property.

If you specified an expression in the control's ControlSource property, make sure that there is an equal sign preceding the expression.

Make sure that there are brackets around references in expressions to control or field names that include spaces. For example, to subtract a Shipped Date field from a Required Date field, enter the following expression: =[Required Date]-[Shipped Date].

If you are using one of the built-in functions, make sure that you're using the right number of arguments, that the arguments are in the right order, and that you haven't left out any necessary punctuation. To determine the correct syntax to use, see the Help topic for the function you're using.

If you are referring to another control, make sure that you're using the correct syntax. For more information on referring to controls, click .

Make sure that there isn't a circular reference to a control. For example, if you specify MyControl in the Name property of a control, and then type =[A]+[B]+[MyControl] in the ControlSource property box for the control, Microsoft Access can't process the expression.
    have a nice one,
    BUD

Hi Bud, Yes I have but I couldnt find anything which could solve my problem.
    Emi-UK

I think you will find that the field "NAME" in the client table is what is giving you the problem. Access is getting confused with that field name and the name property of an object, like the form. Try changing your recordsource and adding an alias for the name field like client.name as clientname.

Thank you all for your answers. I actuall delted the existing combobox and created another one still kept its Row Source as SELECT Client.id, Client.name FROM Client ORDER BY Client.name; but this time different problem. When I select a client from the Combobox, nothign happens and it doesnt bring up clients information.

Could anyone please suggest from scratch? I will just get rid off the whole form and want to create a fresh from which should have a combobox which shuld display clients information after selecting a clients name.

I know that AutoForm: Tabular is best for such a form BUT if you think there is another better option, I WILL BE very grateful if you could please suggest including the expression to go with Row Source of the Combobox.
    Thank you for your kind help.
    Emi-UK