Unanswered: This maybe impossible....but who knows

Is it possible to have a situation where the Access data base is in sync on two computers. In other words, if I move to different records or different forms on computer A then the monitor for computer B will be showing what is on the monitor for computer A.

Basically, what I want to do is to be using Computer A and then go to another room where Computer B resides and Computer B would be showing the same record and form as was on Computer A. Then, if I did something on Computer B such as opening another form etc then Computer A would have the details showing.

This involves telemarketing and using a wireless headset...so that fact might give a clear picture of things.

Access 2003......Windows XP Professional on one computer and XP Home on the other.

Mike

The easy route: Put the .mdb file on your network. If you're actually only dealing with 2 computers, there's nothing wrong with doing this.

The slightly harder, better route: set up SQL Server Express, which is free. Create an Access project (look it up in the help files) that connects to SQL Server and you're done.

Note: In both cases, you're not synchronizing anything because all data is stored in one place. If you're running some telemarketing out of your basement, there's no reason you'd be doing any synchronizing.

I have the Access db on 6 computers and networked.

Naturally enough if data is changed on one computer then it is on all computers. No problem there.

But I am wondering if two of the computers can be joined in some way so that if I open Form xyz and find record abc on Computer A then Computer B will be showing the same form and record as Computer A. Thus I could be talking to you on the phone while in front of Computer A and then for various reasons move to the room that has Computer B and Computer B is showing the same on screen as Computer A.

If it's just one person working on 6 computers, the simplest solution is Remote Desktop Connection. That way you're looking at a real-time picture of Access. This is a good solution, incidentally, and combined with a networked copy of your mdb file, it's pretty flexible.

The reason a DBMS doesn't normally do live updates is because you only want to store true data in your system.

You can, however, add some VBA to your forms idle event and periodically (every minute or so) submit the form, thus updating the database. Then when you got to the other computer and hit F5, the updated data would be available.

You'd also want a yes/no column (named Valid or something) that indicates whether the row is partial or valid. So the VBA would update the database with the new row, but your submit button would perform integrity checks and set Valid to true if the checks pass.

(This also solves the truth issue: now you're saying "this row is true iff the column Valid is true")

Another issue is that your form will not handle new rows the way Access normally does.

Thanks for you responses.

I think I will move some some things around so all can be done from one room

Mike