Smile Unanswered: Back From The Dead

Hi guys, long time no post. Became a mother of twins, and I can tell you for a fact, I have not come across any question as difficult as raising bubs...

I have a question ... I have a database that has a fairly hefty form. It has quite a few tabs, and huge number of fields. A fair amount of code controls the form upon launching to turn on and off certain tabs and fields as necessary.

This is taking a fair amount of time - almost 12 seconds to launch. Any idea of speeding this up. DB been compacted. Gets compacted on close. Split or not, the form is slow.

Cheers ......
    Mona

Provided Answers: 19
    Welcome back, Mona! I guess it depends partially on what you mean by
    quite a few tabs, and huge number of fields
    Obviously, the more things done in the Form_Load sub the longer it will take. Also, do you have a number of comboboxes that need to load? If so you might want to add a button to load them as needed rather than as the form loads.

Is this a finished product, or still in production? Turning off the Track Name AutoCorrect thing can speed things up considerably, but probably should be kept on until development is finished. This feature keeps track of things like control names, and if you change the name of a text box, say, in one place in code, it will automatically change the name everywhere it appears in the app. If you're still developing the app, you might want to cut the feature off for a "test drive" to see if it helps, then cut it back on until you're finished.

Tools-> Options->General

then uncheck Track Name AutoCorrect Information and Perform Name AutoCheck.

BTW, good luck with the twins! You have no idea!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Hi Missinglinq

It is a production database. And it runs quite slow (well one form). There are no combo boxes that get loaded, apart from one listbox. And this is 4 lines max.

AutoCorrect and AutoCheck are off.

It compacts on close.

I was just wondering if there is add on products out there that may assist in optimising the finished product.

Cheers
    Mona
    Mona

Provided Answers: 19
    I have a database that has a fairly hefty form. It has quite a few tabs, and huge number of fields. A fair amount of code controls the form upon launching to turn on and off certain tabs and fields as necessary.
    What exactly is the purpose of turning tabs and controls on and off at loading and how many fields and tabs, total, are we talking about? Also, how big an underlying query are we talking about (number of tables involved) and how many records?
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Actually, I managed to source a third party porduct that optimises Access Forms.

The form is based on a single table, with about 120 fields. The tabs contain grouped information. So for example on the first tab, if it is sale, then the sale tab is made visible during data entry, and the rent/lease tab is not... etc etc

As for the number of records, there are about 10 rows in the test database that i have.

So, as you can imagine, I was stumped.

Thanks for your assistance....
    Mona