Unanswered: Making an Employee INACTIVE in a Payroll Database creating in MS Access..

I am using Visual Basic 6 to develop a Payroll Program. I have created a database in MS Access for the Program.

How do I make an employee that has retired or left the organization INACTIVE? I do not want to delete his record, but I want to make his record inactive so that his name does not appear in subsiquent payrolls.

Thumbs up Making an Employee inactive and not disappear

There may be many ways to achieve this. But the most simple way that came to my mind immediately is to add a Status column to the table and update it for that employee to 'I' => meaning Inactive. While adding this new column please do not forget to add the default value of 'A' => meaning Active to all the emplyees. Then update the selected employees to 'I'.

Provided Answers: 19
    Or add a checkbox for "Inactive." Checked = Inactive, Unchecked = Active. Then refer to the checkbox's staus in your queries when you want an employee to appear or not appear. The advantage to both Raja's and my solution is that you can easily "restore" an employee to Active without re-entering in the system. I use this for home care patients who come on and go off service, sometimes many times. I have one form for viewing Active patients and another, identical form for viewing Inactive patients. To "restore" a paatient, I go to Inactive and uncheck the Inactive check box.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Akinyemi
    How do I make an employee that has retired or left the organization INACTIVE?
    Have you considered using a sledgehammer? You could go with a sack of oranges if you're after a more "delicate" approach...

Seriously:
    The inactive bit mentioned above is a nice simple way to take care of this. Depending on your project's specific needs, you may want to consider something more robust which tracks periods of active service. If any employee is likely to become active/inactive with great frequency, this can be a nice way to go.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Provided Answers: 19
    Teddy's idea is worth considering. In the method I described above, I actually use a "Delete Record" button that sets the checkbox to "Inactive" status and I append a copy of the record to a deleted record table, along with a deleted date. BTW, Teddy, wish I'd thought of the sledgehammer idea! There are some home care patients that...
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007