Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: How to run a database report?

Is there anyone who knows how to create a database report in SQL server 2000 after we run queries?
    Thanks for help

Provided Answers: 6
    to create something pretty you need to use a reporting tool like sql reporting services or crystal or access or you can DIY with a programming language like ASP.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by jennyphb
    Is there anyone who knows how to create a database report in SQL server 2000 after we run queries?
    Thanks for help
    There are really a boat load of different ways to do different things...maybe if you clue us in on what you want to do we could probably suggest something

M$ Access best feature, in my opinion, is reporting.
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser
    M$ Access best feature, in my opinion, is reporting.
    Could not agree more wholeheartedly or with greater vigour.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    to create something pretty you need to use a reporting tool like sql reporting services or crystal or access or you can DIY with a programming language like ASP.
    I agree with you. In your opinion, SQL reporting services is a good tool to create a database report in SQL queries compared to other ones?
    Thanks

the setup for SQL Server Reporting Services 2000 can be an adventure. I have set it up on a few client sites and done a a couple of setups in house and it never goes right the first time and the problem with the setup has been different everytime.

However, the one time I setup SQL Reporting Services 2005 all I had to do was hit a checkbox during the SQL Server 2005 setup and everything worked out of the box. I was shocked.

The other upside to SQL RS, is that it will not cost you anything if it is installed on the same machine as SQL Server. The drawbacks to this are you will have IIS on your DB box and it violates the best practice of having your application code and your DB server on different machine.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus
    the setup for SQL Server Reporting Services 2000 can be an adventure. I have set it up on a few client sites and done a a couple of setups in house and it never goes right the first time and the problem with the setup has been different everytime.

However, the one time I setup SQL Reporting Services 2005 all I had to do was hit a checkbox during the SQL Server 2005 setup and everything worked out of the box. I was shocked.

The other upside to SQL RS, is that it will not cost you anything if it is installed on the same machine as SQL Server. The drawbacks to this are you will have IIS on your DB box and it violates the best practice of having your application code and your DB server on different machine.

Seems i've been lucky with Reporting services. Istruggled in first installation only. For other attempts i had a cakewalk...
    In GOD we believe. Everything else we Test!

But doesn't every business person want their reports in Excel?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by wash
    Seems i've been lucky with Reporting services. Istruggled in first installation only. For other attempts i had a cakewalk...
    do deal with one internal homogeneous envrionment or do you deploy to various customers where things are different everytime?

Not sure if you care, but RS sucks if you have to generate localized reports, even on 2005.

I have not written a "report" in a few years. I have report writers for that. All I do these days is fix the nastiest problems.

I had to maintain all the reports in SSMS until yukon was released, so I know painfully well that RS 2005 doesn't support localization

I don't write reports anymore either thankfully. Those rdl files were pretty nasty looking!

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser
    But doesn't every business person want their reports in Excel?
    RS will gleefully deliver reports as XLS files.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by jezemine
    Not sure if you care, but RS sucks if you have to generate localized reports, even on 2005.
    Interesting point of view, can you elaborate a bit? I agree that RS can't deal well with poorly constructed queries that pre-localize the data, but I've never had a problem with simply retrieving the data via a query then allowing RS to present it. I've actually found the RS makes it much easier for me to deliver localized reports (with the exception of one other enterprise grade reporting tool, with an enterprise grade price tag).

-PatP

are you saying you are able to build a single report and have it render properly in multiple languages?

I am pretty sure that's not possible with the WinForms ReportViewer (which is what I had to use, the one in the Microsoft.Reporting.Winforms namespace). RDL files don't use resx files to store strings like a regular localized winform would, so they can't be localized easily.

It may be different if you host your reports on a RS server, which it sounds like you were doing.

I couldn't do that because SSMS needs to carry its reports around with it, and can't depend on a RS instance being installed somewhere. So maybe it's not that RS itself sucks, it's that Microsoft.Reporting.Winforms.ReportViewer sucks (at least when it comes to localization. otherwise it's ok)
    Last edited by jezemine; 10-19-06 at 00:33.