Unanswered: DBExport onto DLT Tape

I am trying to backup my database onto a DLT Tape 40/80 GB.
    My database is not that large, yet it keeps asking for a second tape.
    Command -
    dbexport -t /dev/rStp0 -b 128 -s 10240000000 -f /tmp/testdb.imp testdb

cant increase the block size any more.

Are you shure your tapesize is specified correctly? According to my calculation your tape capacity in GB would be 9765, or am I mistaken? Why don't you write the export to disk first and see what size the complete directory is?

BTW. If it's for backup purposes only you'd better use ontape, creating a backup can be done in on-line mode and restoring will be done much quicker.

Regards

Thanks I will try the 9765 later this evening. I cant do the export to disk as I dont have enough space on a siingle partition. So I literally have to move each export file as they complete and I end up with the export all over the place.

Also correct me if i am wrong, but using ontape is also only usefull if you are restoring on the same server. If that server crashes, the backup server would have to be setup identical to the live server.

Thanks again

Andrus

I'm taking this info from the IDS 9.3 documentation:

dbexport destination options

-s <tape_size>
    purpose: specifies, in kilobytes, the amount of data you can store on the tape

restrictions: the tape size is limited to 2,097,151 kilobytes. The limit is required because of the way dbexport & dbimport track their positions into the tape."

I think your -s setting of 10240000000 is far too big because that number represents 10,240,000,000 kilobytes.

Using either of the 40GB or 80GB numbers for tape capacity, I think you should be using something like -s 40000000 or -s 80000000.
    Last edited by mjldba; 10-20-06 at 10:12.

that number represents 10,240,000,000 kilobytes
    aka 9765 GB.

And yes Andrus, your backup server will have to be set up identical to the taped server. But then again, a backup is meant to restore to the same situation that existed before things went wrong. So it seems pretty clear to me that if you want to follow that definition of course your backup server has to be correspondingly configured. If you want to be able to migrate however to a backup server dbexport is an easy way to go, initially. After that I still would use ontape to keep the backup server up to date if that's necesary because producing the backup is much easier than with dbexport.

BTW. IDS provides much better ways to archive your databases, like HADR when accessibility is of key interest, or ON-Archive when flexibility is needed.

Regards