Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Crystal/Business Views best practices.

Our business is trying to make a decision about using Stored Procedures versus Crystal Business Views as a basis for reports. I've done some development in Crystal, but have not used Business Views. Our Crystal Reports developer tells me this:
    Most practical references I have found to using Crystal Reports Server and all references to Business Views have been based on direct table (or view) connections. I have found very little in the way of using stored procedures with Crystal (other than the note that they can be used). I don’t think there are very many people out there using Crystal and stored procedures together. So, while it may be considered bad practice by DBAs to allow interfaces to have direct access to tables, it is pretty much standard practice for Crystal implementations.
    Given the widespread consensus among DBAs that Sprocs are the preffered method for distributing data, I'd like to get some comments from Crystal Developers on this.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Our business is trying to make a decision about using Stored Procedures versus Crystal Business Views as a basis for reports. I've done some development in Crystal, but have not used Business Views. Our Crystal Reports developer tells me this:Given the widespread consensus among DBAs that Sprocs are the preffered method for distributing data, I'd like to get some comments from Crystal Developers on this.
    I have always used stored procedure in crystal reports in most of the cases(web applications in ASP.net), but that always depends on the requirement.There are a lot of limitations in Crystal but stored procs never made a hassle in my case.When you are dealing with MSSQL server, its ok with stored proc.

Well,in case of Business Views, the important part is ,you can integrate data from disparate sources. You can also bring together data from multiple data collection platforms and application boundaries so that the differences in data resolution, coverage, and structure between collection methods are eliminated.A Business View is a logical collection of Business Elements.Users see Business Views as abstract database connections, and the contained Business Elements as virtual tables that, in turn, contain Business Fields. Administrators can secure Business Views through the standard View and Edit rights.
    So they have given a lot of facilities in business views.I think if you are dealing with one kind of database its ok to go with stored proc(but crystal itself has lot of limitations,I would prefer Reporting services 2005 ahead of it),but if your have different kinds of databases it wiser to go for Business Views.Bcoz they are specially designed to integrate seamlessly with Crystal Enterprise.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Sir Winston Churchill
    Joydeep

Provided Answers: 1
    Can the Business Views effectively pull data from stored procedures? Are there any problems with procedures that require parameters?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Can the Business Views effectively pull data from stored procedures? Are there any problems with procedures that require parameters?
    Yea,while creating an element you can do it. An element is the representation of a table from a Business View foundation. It allows you to bring in tables, views or stored procedures from the connections contained in a BV foundation and alias their names to make them more business friendly to report designers.
    There would be no problem for stored procedures which requires parameters,it just works fine,except I faced a problem in setting default values.

For some support to SSRS a comparison between Crystal and SSRS,see this...http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnsql90/html/migrbocssrs.asp
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Sir Winston Churchill
    Joydeep