Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5

    Unanswered: ODBC Not Connecting

    I have just installed the Oracle 10g client (ODBC Driver 10.02.00.01) on a Windows 2003 Server, and I am trying to setup a DSN for an ODBC connection.
    I have created a TNSNAMES entry using the IP address of the server.
    When using Enterprise Manager, SQLPLUS, etc., I can connect to the Server with no problems.
    I have tried to setup a DSN using both the Oracle AND Microsoft Drivers, both give me the following error:
    ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified

    I get this with the "Test Connection" on the Oracle Driver, and I installed a small ODBC Client to test the Microsoft Client.

    Does anyone know what else I can research to determine why I cannot get the ODBC connection to connect?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5
    BTW - TNSPING also works. Just not getting and ODBC connection to work using a System DSN.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5
    Actually continued testing shows SQLPlus Worksheet working, SQLPLUS does not.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Posts
    7,776
    Provided Answers: 1
    Are there multiple ORACLE_HOME folders on this box?
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5
    There WAS the old CLENT1 directory, but I deleted it. The only Oracle directory is now D:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_2\

    I did check, and when I run SET from a command prompt, I do not see a ORACLE_HOME setting.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5
    THANK YOU anacedent!!
    I kept digging based on your question:
    1. I checked the Environment Settings and found an Empty ORACLE_HOME setting, which I deleted.
    2. I also found in the PATH a reference to client_1 from the previous install. I removed it from the PATH

    After doing these 2 items, it appears that I get a valid "Test Connection"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •