Thread: Crash!!!!!

Unanswered: Crash!!!!!

help! I set up a databse for my company to track data and it all work's fine but now they have increased the number for tables to 35. I can only have 16 table's per query, so I have used "sub queries" to overcome this and it is ok, but when I try and run a report based on this query the system just crashes. I have found I can have up to 24 tables without it crashing. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to upgrade to a more powerful version of Access?? (I'm using 2002 version)

any help is greatly appreciated!

you are probably doing something wrong, specifically, separate tables where the data should be all in one table

what are some of these table names? what's in them?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

I have different tables for different processes as their input comes from barcode scanners around the factory floor.
    I have a primary key defined for each table with enforced referential integrity between each.
    So each table has a column for the barcode number and then a column (e.g. Rough turned) where the date is entered when the task is complete.
    The reason I have different tables rather than enetering them all into one is that I was planning to split the tables so they could all be open simultaneously and have inputs from scanners via an ethernet box.

Does that make sense??

yes it makes sense

i think you'll want to combine your tables using a Create Table query with several tables queries with a UNION query

you can combine 16 tables into one, then another 16 into a second, and so on

then combine the combined tables for your final query
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Provided Answers: 19
    I'm just curious, Access 2000 Help lists the Tables Limit in a Query as being 32, not 16. Has it really been reduced in Ac2003?
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

oh, i just pulled the number 16 out of the air

the idea is that you combine as many tables into one as you can
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Thanks that's a brilliant idea! I'll let you know how it work's!

Provided Answers: 19
    Wasn't addressing you, r937,nd you didn't really pull 16 out of the air! Claire sited the 16 table limit in her original post!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007