Unanswered: Hi, Hi, Creating federated server definition for AS/400

Hi,

I'm trying to create a federated server definition for AS/400 from DB2 Control Center and I face some errors.

I've successfully created the DRDA wrapper, but on the server definition, I don't know what to enter to the DBNAME parameter. I've tested some AS/400 libraries and package libraries with no results. It said that it can't find and database with the given names.

My question is what is the equivalent DBNAME for a library to connect to?

Regards,
    Pascal

P.S.: The command is:
    CREATE SERVER MYSERVER TYPE DB2/400 VERSION '5.2' WRAPPER "DRDA" AUTHID "XXX" PASSWORD "XXX" OPTIONS( ADD DBNAME 'XXX', PASSWORD 'Y')

Provided Answers: 5
    I believe that you have to catalog the remote DB on the server. Then the DB alias you catalogged is what you use.

HTH

Andy

Do you mean to catalog it to DB2 or the AS/400? Sorry, if this seems an annoying question, but I'm a software engineer not a dba.

Thanks for the reply,
    Pascal

You use DB2 to catalog the remote DB. This has to be done on the server where your local DB is. If the DB is local, then you do not need to do anything. Just use the DB alias.

HTH

Andy

Do you mean to use this command?

I will give it a try. Thanks!

Yes, that would be the command. You will first need to CATALOG the NODE where the remote DB exists (see the CATALOG TCPIP NODE command).

Andy

Ok, firstly I have to catalog the AS/400 server and then the remote database.

Thanks a lot!

Only if it a DB on a separate server. If it is local it will already be catalogged.

Andy

I'm a bit confused now. We have an AIX server where the DB2 resides and I want there to create a remote database connection to an AS/400 system.

So, if I've understand well on the Control Center of the DB2 on AIX I have to create a DRDA wrapper (already created it), catalog the AS/400 node and then catalog the AS/400 library with a specific alias.

Then I create the federated server definition by using the above alias on the DBNAME parameter.

Is this workflow correct?

I finally figured out how to set it up. The problem now is that when I try to connect to the remote database, it errors that I don't have a license to connect to AS/400 and I need DB2 Connect.

That damn IBM gets money from everywhere :-[