Unanswered: ORA-12657: No algorithms installed

Ouch! Can't get my web site to work!

I'm trying to put up a web site, but I keep getting into trouble with Oracle. First it kept telling me that I had to install Oracle Client components, although they'we already there. So I gave full control to almost every user possible, over almost every folder possible. (Nice security, huh?)

After I did that, I started getting this ORA-12657 error. Someone told me it's about an installation option regarding Encryption... Gee, never knew about that, never worried about that, and only NOW I'm gettin' this $#$@ error message. So I figured I should try to find out if anyone has had this problem before, and what they did to solve it. Any help would be extremely appreciated. The Oracle support was far too complex for me to understand (I'm not really a programmer, nor analist, nor dba, etc. etc.), so a step-by-step would be even more appreciated.

BTW, am running an ASP application with Oracle. MSDAORA with TNSNAMES. The server responds and so does the database (ping on the server 20ms, tnsping on db 30ms).

Also, I saw some posts on the web that stated that I should look into the registry and change the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSDTC\MTxOCI

For Oracle 9i:
    - OracleOciLib = oci.dll
    - OracleSqlLib = orasql9.dll
    - OracleXaLib = oraclient9.dll

Well, I looked into it, and in fact these setting are different from the ones that were there before. The OracleSqlLib was SQLsomething.dll and the OracleXaLib was different too, but I can't remember their values. If they're relevant, I'll look into them again.

I exported the registry and changed these values to the ones suggested, but it still didn't work, so... I guess that ain't it. Maybe I did something wrong.

If I left any info out, lemme know.

Thanks a lot.

Since you are neither a programmer, analist, dba, etc. etc. (and hence probably have no experience with Oracle) I would suggest you bring someone with experience with Oracle on Windows and have him re-install the product from scratch.

That's da spirit

Thank you, Martinez, for your willingness to help (yeah, uh huh).

Although I did reinstall the client release 2 (now checking the option for encryption), it was not because you took the time to explain how it should be done.

For future record, if anyone comes up with the same problem, Martinez, although not the kindest of the users, was actually right. I installed the client with default options, which did not include encryption. Had to uninstall it and do it all over again, from scratch (right *buddy*?). That took care of the problem.

C ya.

Thumbs down WinDoze standard procedure

Quote Originally Posted by igordonin
    ... I installed the client with default options, which did not include encryption. Had to uninstall it and do it all over again, from scratch ...

This is a common method to deal with WinDoze machines -- If it fails, re-install, re-boot, re-format, etc...
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Provided Answers: 1
    Oracle is not for the faint of heart or the short on experience. Oracle is not a hobby.

JMartinez's advice is the best you are going to get.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

do we still have a problem here?

No problem at all. If you are installing Oracle for your own use, then your lack of knowledge is not a problem, that is how you learn. If you are installing it for a companies production use then they are an idiot to have someone unknowledgeable installing and managing their installation and they will probable pay for it when everything crashes. This is NOT a personal dig, but as has been previously stated, Oracle is one of the most complex (and powerful) database products and should not be maintained by someone with no training.
    Last edited by beilstwh; 01-29-07 at 15:25.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

do you care what i'm installing it for? if i say it's for studying will it make any difference? i just asked for help.
    Last edited by igordonin; 01-29-07 at 15:29.

We are trying to help. If this is a test/learning machine, have fun. If your company is relying on this installation, start writing your resume.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

fair enough. then thanx for the help and the advice. i hope to get more of the first than of the second around here though ... and i don't mean any disrespect by that.

see ya