Unanswered: Is this possible?

Hi,

I'm new to access and I'm having this terrible problem with my database.
    I have a table named tbl_Example_1 with fields ID, Color, Name and Items.
    The user fills these fields through DATA ACCESS PAGES. In field Color we have different possible colors that the user can choose from. In field Name we have persons name and in field Item we have all possible product item numbers, ranging from 0-255.

User first selects the proper color for the items in question and after that chooses the person that these items will be sent to, and last selects the wanted item numbers.

At the end, I should create a table like in attached image where all the individual item numbers are used to create new records.

Be course there are so many different item numbers it is not reasonable to fill these fields by hand. Is this possible at all or am I thinking the whole thing the wrong way. And remember this must work via DAP.

Any help appreciated;

Mika Laakso
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Example.jpg  

Anything is possible ... If you Split the ranges and operate on them in VBA you should be able to ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Provided Answers: 59
    MOwens right:- it can be done using the split function
    but this has the aroma of poor tables design to me

If I were you id consder having three columns in your db called Say Colourway1,Colourway2,Colourway3 store the separate colourways in each column, then delete the ones you dont require as required, ad possibly promote the require Colourway into colourway1
    alternatively have a sub table which references the first table and stores a size and say colour, afterall its perfectly feasible that aperson may order more than one item and more than one colourway - that way round you are bombproof if the user requirement changes. the preferred solution would be to use a sub table in my view, unless of course handling this sort of complexity its not required for you homework assignment

personally I <hate> the idea of hard coding such limits as max of 3 colours, but there y'go.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Hi,

Thanks for the answers. Im not very good at coding anything so the sub table thingy sounds promising. I didnt quite catch everything about the sub table use. Could you perhaps explain it with little more detail? Little example perhaps? Im just a beginner in access.

(By the way, this project is in reality about alternative user interface to a 3D-modelling program, where user can assign different material types ([Colors]) to elements drawn on specific levels ([Persons]). Inside every level elements can be further distinguished with the help of their colors ([Items]). Thus, there can be as many materials and levels as the user wants, but used colors always vary between values 0-255.)

Thank you,

Mika Laakso