Question Unanswered: Calculating numbers within a field

Hello Everyone, After searching the forum i havent found anything related to my problem..

I am trying to calculate numbers within a field, and show the total in a seperate field. This is a report cover sheet that includes the number of records in the shipment.

Example

text entered in field are tracking numbers: 1570-1575

total records are 6.

I want to be able to show the total of 6 in a seperate field.

Thanks for your help,
    Chris

Provided Answers: 6
    Not particularly difficult. You'll need to acquaint yourself with the various string functions; Instr, Left, Mid, etc. With those you can peel out the 2 components and then do the math.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy
    Not particularly difficult. You'll need to acquaint yourself with the various string functions; Instr, Left, Mid, etc. With those you can peel out the 2 components and then do the math.
    Paul,

Didn't I see a trick a few years ago on here using Excel to run the calcs????
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Provided Answers: 6
    I don't recall seeing it, but that doesn't mean anything (and you've been here longer than I). I can see how Excel might recognize that as a formula, where Access does not.
    Paul

You could try something like:
    Code:
     Abs(Eval(TheData))+1
    Also - this looks like a possible candidate for splitting a field into two.

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by pootle flump
    You could try something like:
    Code:
     Abs(Eval(TheData))+1
    Also - this looks like a possible candidate for splitting a field into two.

HTH
    Poots ... This one gets into the slippery slope of formula eval which we both know is a lot less fun in Access ... Didn't we have this dicussion a few years ago???

Unfortunately, we probably won't be able to find it ...

Quote Originally Posted by M Owen
    Didn't we have this dicussion a few years ago???
    Not me and thee - I can't think of a single production instance I have had need of it so I haven't looked at it all that hard.

What is the gotcha?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Not me and thee - I can't think of a single production instance I have had need of it so I haven't looked at it all that hard.

What is the gotcha?
    Gotcha??? On eval'ing a generic formula in Access? How about precedence? I had to write 1 in VC++ years ago and generally it's done with recursion ... I mean you can write a recursive function in VBA and get it done ... And don't get me started on variables in an expression ...

Ok - defensive programming - makes good sense. Eval IME on the boards is (typically) used as a bodge and so I would certainly avoid it wherever possible.

Personnally I would not implement it here, nor manipulate the string - I would normalise the data. But it does work for the posted text value.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Ok - defensive programming - makes good sense. Eval IME on the boards is (typically) used as a bodge and so I would certainly avoid it wherever possible.

Personnally I would not implement it here, nor manipulate the string - I would normalise the data. But it does work for the posted text value.
    Agreed. In this case, I'd have 2 textboxes: 1st From 2nd Thru ... Just like most everyone else here would. Eliminating this whole discussion all together ...

Thanks for the suggestions, and I did see a post that did mention Excel.. but it was calculating numbers in a field that has letters included.

I didnt plan on calculating this field originally, but the program was demonstrated at work yesterday, and that suggestion was mentioned. If I did it, it would be with beginning and ending number fields.

Chris