Unanswered: Access unexpectedly shuts down at sign on

I have an access database located on a server. We have been having problems with access unexpectedly shutting down when a user attempts to sign on. Sometimes I will have 10 people signed on when this occurs and then this morning, only 1. When the second person tried to log on we get this failure. We get everyone out of the database and repair it and we are going again. However, one time we were not able to repair the database and lost data. I am wondering if an improper computer network connection could cause this problem or if it is all software related.

Help!

Thanks,
    B&R

OS(s) involved? Network type and speed? How is Access being used? FE/BE? Just BE?
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

We are using Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server. I have the Access 2002 database located on the server. Each PC has Access 2002 loaded. I have an icon located on each PC that opens the Access program on their PC and then opens the database file on the server. I do not know if that is a Front End/Back End or just Back End. Obviously, I am new to the programming game. The program has been working fine until recently when we added about 8 additional users. We had 4 users before. I do use user-level security also.

Thanks,
    B&R

What is the purpose of this database (what are you using it for)? Are you running periodic compact & repairs on it? Anyone having other network problems?
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

If you setup your environment in the Workgroup, it could be dropped out from the Admin Workgroup. Check the link to see if it's okay. Reconnect it and your client machine sign on should be fine

Thanks for your continued support. This database is used for repair tracking on equipment. I had 5 people using the system for months without a problem. We then added about 10 terminals and I added the new techs into the security module. Then our problem started. It has been happening for 3 weeks and the first two weeks only once each week. It has happened 3 times this week. The first couple of times we had a few people using the database but this morning only 1 was on the system and when the second person attempted to sign on, the problem occured. Then we will go a couple of days without the problem. Here is another piece that might help. Another warning box we receive when this happens is as follows:

You attempted to open a database that is already opened exclusively by user '[user name]' on machine '[machine name]'. Try again when the database is available.

I was sort of wondering if the security workgroup file got messed up in some way but I do not know how to fix that.

Any of your thoughts are appreciated !!

B&R

Oh yes, we have not had any other network problems that I am aware of. I have another database with 10 users and pretty much a duplicate database and it is working fine.

Thanks,
    B&R

Provided Answers: 19
    A split database (Front end/Back end) means that the database has been split, with the tables holding data in the back end and everything else (forms, reports, queries, etc) residing in the front end. This can be done using the Database Splitter from Tools - Database Utilities.

In a multi-user environment, the back end, holding the data, should be on a shared drive, but each user needs to have their own copy of the front end on their PC.

Having multiple users all accessing a single, unsplit file on a shared drive will almost assuredly cause problems such as you are currently experiencing, and sooner or later, will result in data corruption and loss.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 14
    Check the installation of the front end mdb on the new added users pc and see if it does not try to open the back end mdb in exclusive mode (Tools, Options, Advanced tab). Not very likely but who knows.

Have a nice day!