Unanswered: Upgrade from SP3 to SP4

Hi,

We have to upgrade our sql database servers from SP3 to SP4....will this upgrade wipe out all user databases information or it will just update system tables and all user databases and logins will be intact.

Thanks...
    Last edited by Wilson77; 10-23-06 at 04:40.

What led you to believe that a service pack upgrade would wipe out your user databases?

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

Quote Originally Posted by tomh53
    What led you to believe that a service pack upgrade would wipe out your user databases?
    I was not too sure abt this so I asked this question here.

Well ... unless today just is not your day, the sp upgrade should proceed smoothly without incident ... but just in case ... ALWAYS backup your databses before making any changes!

-- This is all just a Figment of my Imagination --

As I'm sure you're aware, there is a detailed readme instruction for SQL Server SP update on the MS download site. Hopefully you would not attempt this important upgrade without reading and following this documnet.

It's pretty straight forward for a simple installation, but if you're using Clustering or Replication, there are sequences that must be followed.

This document steps you through the measures you should take in the unlikely event you have to revert back to your old version.