Unanswered: MS Access and Music

Hello all,

I've never been that impressed with the way that MP3-playing software like Winamp etc. organise their media libraries, so, as a project, I thought I'd write one myself in Access - taking advantage of proper database facilities to organise my music files.

Reading the contents of a folder and actually compiling a list of files is obviously the easy bit (although I'd really love to know how, in Access, I can read the ID tag at the front of an mp3 file). The bit I am stuck on is this:

Does anybody have any idea how I can play a list of files ( a playlist) one after the other? As I see it, there are two approaches:

1. Store each filename as a hyperlink and then follow the hyperlink to the default media player (e.g. Winamp). But how do I send a queue of files?

2. Embed a media player (e.g. the Windows Media player) in the database and use that to play the files. But, again, how would I queue files to be played?

It's not that important: it's just that I thought it would make an interesting project. Any thoughts, anybody?

Kind regards

Andy

Provided Answers: 1
    You're probably going to have to use COM or some other third party component to assist with this.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Thanks for that....I was wondering about a COM add-in of some sort.
    Andy Briggs
    Elmhurst Solutions Limited
    Database Development and Consultancy
    http://www.elmhurstsolutions.com