Unanswered: database splitting

I'm getting extremely muddled up with understanding how database splitting works and was hoping somebody could clarify a few points for me

I have split the database using tools etc and now have a front end (where the tables have linked symbols next to them) on a shared server and a back end containing the origional tables.

1. Do I now copy and past the front end into each users folder? or do I have one copy available that everybody can access as long as they don't make changes?

2. Some users need to add data to some tables. Do I need to create the main table in their copy and then link this table to the back end or if they edit the table from their copy will this update the back-end and consequently the rest of the users' copies

I'm very confuzzled as to how it all works!!!

Any clarification greatly appreciated!

The front end contains everything EXCEPT for the tables and the back end contains just the tables. Database splitting is used for a multi user environment where you have more than just a few machines that access the info. Generally you would put the backend on a server and the front end on each user's machine and then link the to the server. This way if you ever need to make updates to the front end you won't need to completely take the database 'offline' to do it. Hope this helps

yeah that does make sense, could users change data in the tables (without changing the design) from the front end??

It would depend on what permissions they have and how they're coming into the front end, whether through Access Runtime or regular Access. Through regular Access they could add or delete data from the tables but wouldn't be able to make any design changes.

They are using regular access, so that should be ok

Thanks for clearing that up!

Quote Originally Posted by Werner700
    It would depend on what permissions they have and how they're coming into the front end, whether through Access Runtime or regular Access. Through regular Access they could add or delete data from the tables but wouldn't be able to make any design changes.
    ... And this depends on if you roll out a MDB or a MDE ... If a MDE then they cannot edit the form(s) in design view ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...