Unanswered: MSDE Doubt about remote connections

Hi all,

I have 2 pcs connected each other and one has the MSDE installed, i would like to access PC1 MSDE instance remotly is this possible or MSDE couldn't be used in network environment and just locally?

TIA
    Tiago Teixeira

msde can certainly be used remotely. Have you tried connecting from your second pc?

Hi,

Yes i'm trying to use it remotely using our ERP software, and when i try to connect through the remote machine it gives an error about DOTNETLIB - server connection erro... etc but locally ( in the other pc) i can use it without any problem. Any idea?
    Note: Firewall is OFF on both machines.

Thanks,
    Tiago Teixeira

what is the exact error? I mean the full text of the error.

I uninstalled the application at 1hr ago, beacause i was getting upset, but the error is something about DOTNETLIB - server connection error make sure about permisions etc.
    As i'm working with msde i can't access so deep to its permisions and configurations because this is not sqlserver2000 and i've no Enterprise Manager Studio to check some properties and confs.

Any Idea?

If you want a GUI to use to manage msde, you can install SSMS Express. It's free, and works against msde no problem.

Get it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-5A0F62BF7796

Unfortunately, without more detail about what the exact error was, I can't help you further.

By default, MSDE is configured to listen on shared memory (local machine connections only). You have to install it with the parameter DISABLENETWORKS=0 in order to enable listening on TCP/IP.

As previously mentioned, I think you can use the UI for SQL Server 2005 Express to edit this property.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?