Unanswered: Visual Basic/Access relationship question

A customer has given me a consulting task, I estimated the time, and she said her customer will not approve that much time spent on the task. So here's quick description of what I need to do and maybe someone can tell me if I am indeed too high.

Currently, they have "standalone" VB 6.0 code that uses an Access database and connects to it using OLE. There are 5 forms and 3 modules which I know nothing about and I don't know if I can continue knowing nothing about them and still perform my task. Clearly, if I need to familiarize myself with them, that will take time. Actually, I just noticed the VB project uses two Access databases and for the other one the OLE code is commented out and it's currently using DAO. (Why wouuld that be?) One db is input and one is ouput. The customer wanted all this code moved to the Modules object inside the Access db (which one, input or output, I'm not sure). I'll leave it at that, so as not to give you too much boring detail which will make you stop reading! So my question is, can a standalone vb project be easily moved into an Access database? And does the fact that there are two databases complicate it?

Thanks!

What was your time quote? Sounds like you'd be trading a VB app for an Access app where you'd just mimic the forms in VB in Access and provide the same functionality ... Programmatically, ALOT will transfer over verbatim but there are some substantial differences ... Your 2nd question: not really.

How many forms need to be recreated (and you will need to recreate - no import on this one)? Are there reports? Do reports need to be created? Security?
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

I estimated 33 hours.

There are 5 forms. Two are "easy" - an About screen and one with one huge text box (it says Special Instructions but I don't know what that is yet). The other 3 have a lot of text boxes but nothing too fancy or unusual.

I didn't know you couldn't import and that you have to start from scratch. But with a template (existing forms), that's a no-brainer. Maybe the customer can get someone there to do it.

I'm almost sure there's no reports, no security requirements.

Given your experience, do you even know why someone would want to do this? My customer thinks it will be easier for her to support in Access, but I don't know why. Crossing this one task off the task list may help to get the others approved, if I recommend not doing it.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by M Mock
    I estimated 33 hours.

There are 5 forms. Two are "easy" - an About screen and one with one huge text box (it says Special Instructions but I don't know what that is yet). The other 3 have a lot of text boxes but nothing too fancy or unusual.

I didn't know you couldn't import and that you have to start from scratch. But with a template (existing forms), that's a no-brainer. Maybe the customer can get someone there to do it.

I'm almost sure there's no reports, no security requirements.

Given your experience, do you even know why someone would want to do this? My customer thinks it will be easier for her to support in Access, but I don't know why. Crossing this one task off the task list may help to get the others approved, if I recommend not doing it.

Thanks.
    Ordinarily, the reasons for doing this would be corporate policy (or avoidance of the same - Don't ask) or for internal support. Someone there will support it going forward but they only know Access ... This is a lame-ass explanation also ... I developed apps in Access that no "competent" Access user would be able to support in a million years ... So, 33 hours? Basically, 4 days then. They won't spring for that? Forget them. They're cheapskates. Actually, you're on the cheap side because of the unknowns involved with conversions ... Will the forms transfer over? Will they/Can they operate the same as before? Are you going to have to change functionality because Access doesn't support a VB feature? Actual: if there are Grids or spreadsheets in VB, those will have to be "converted" into Continuous Forms in Access ... Then embedded as subforms to mimic the spreadsheet behaviour.

Security is important. Is the current VB app used by multiple people? In Access, you have to design the apps differently for multi-user operations ... That alone will take most of your time (designing that) ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Provided Answers: 19
    I agree wholeheartedly with M Owen! Run! Run quickly!

There are 5 forms and 3 modules which I know nothing about and I don't know if I can continue knowing nothing about them and still perform my task...

I'm almost sure there's no reports, no security requirements
    Giving a quote without fully understanding the task at hand is just plain nutz! It's like calling a body shop and saying "I wrecked my car, how much will it cost to fix?" without telling them the damage! And whoever heard of a project involving not one but two DBs and not having any reports? Unless you've got lots of time on your hand and don't really need to make a living Just Say No!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 1
    ^^^^ exactly ^^^^

I take my negotiating queue's from Sam:

"What's in the case?"

"That isn't necessary."

"Is it heavy, is it explosive, is it chained to some unlucky bloke's wrist? Are we gonna have to chop it off?"

"All right. But I am not under any obligation to let you know..."

"If not, the price has gotta go up. I'll get you the case, but the price has gotta go up. If it's gonna be a amateur night, I want a hundred thousand dollars. I want it upfront. I want it in a bank account. I want another $100,000 when you get the case."
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Provided Answers: 19
    You gotta love De Niro!
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007