Thread: locked ldb file

Unanswered: locked ldb file

I have several db's on network drives that are accessed by multiple users. On occasion the ldb file will lock. No one is logged into the database, but the ldb lists that there are users logged in and it cannot be deleted. Since the ldb is on a network drive, I cannot force a delete (new 'security' measures at the company). There is a process that I can go through to have this file deleted by a member of the server team with the proper rights, but this takes time and must be coordinated with the users - a general PITA.

Considering that Access is Access and users are users, I'm assuming that others run into this sort of situation and wondering what can be done to alleviate the problem. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

The only thing that I've been able to do is to have all the usual suspects/abusers/clods/miscreants/bad apples/"I don't know what I did"'s/Fu**knobs shut down their individual PCs in the hope that that will release the lock on the ldb file ... Short of that, reboot the server.

I have such a high opinion of end-users don't I???
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

I try to think of my less than desirable users as job security, it's kept me from committing a crime or two.

The server team has a tool to force delete the file without rebooting the server. I used to be able to do it myself, but they've implemented more security meassures and I no longer have the rights.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue
    I try to think of my less than desirable users as job security, it's kept me from committing a crime or two.

The server team has a tool to force delete the file without rebooting the server. I used to be able to do it myself, but they've implemented more security meassures and I no longer have the rights.
    Them dirty bastards!!! Time to storm their castle ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Cloning

You can try out the sample cloning vbs script (edit it with notepad and change the unc path, then save it with a vbs extension.) This can be a quick fix for you but it's meant for a split database or SQL Server backend and meant to clone the frontend (if it's a split db). Once you edit the vbs script, simply copy it to everyone's desktop. It makes a new mdb/mde file (depending on what you put in place of the unc path). It does help with locked ldb files to allow others to still use your mdb/mde. You can also use the benefit of it to see who's in the mdb/mde as it adds the user's windows loginID to the mdb/mde and opens that file and also allows you the capability of copying new code without having users exit out of the mdb/mde. Ignore the commented out lines (I was trying out different things). I hope it helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Thanks, I'll take a look.