Unhappy Unanswered: Re-install Issues

Hi folks

This is doing my head in.....

Im trying to re-install an instance of sql server 2000. I used the add remove program untility to remove the instance then I try and install the same instance again and the setup bombs out. Here is the failure text from sqlstp.txt.

################################################## #############################
    Starting Service ...

Latin1_General_CI_AS

-m -Q -T4022 -T3659

Connecting to Server ...

driver={sql server};server=REMACWEBDB00A\int1;UID=sa;PWD=;data base=master

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]General network error. Check your network documentation.

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]ConnectionRead (WrapperRead()).

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]General network error. Check your network documentation.

SQL Server configuration failed.

################################################## #############################

It seems like the last install never unistalled the instance cleanly. Which to be honest is rubbish.

Anybody any ideas.

Thanks

Ive followed the steps in the following to remove a named instance :

http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/290991/

Still no joy

Talking

Hi Folks

Issue sorted.

We had on the server client named pipe alias's that were set up when we were trying to solve some win2003/SQL Server 2000 TCP/IP issues outline in the following KB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/840219

Anyway I forgot to remove these before the re-install and this what was causing the issues.

Now somebody can explain to me why this is the case. Why does SQL Server install fail when a client alias is present on the box?