Unanswered: Replicating Data with Log Shipping or Third Party for DR

In 2007 we plan on moving many of our SQL Servers (2000 & 2005) to a SAN. We will also be investigating the best way to replicate data from our production SAN to a Disaster Recovery SAN. I would like to know if people rely on built-in SQL Server replication / log shipping or third party products like DoubleTake or MirrorView. What's the advantage, if any, to using a third-party product?

Thanks, Dave

Provided Answers: 54
    Third party products offer a variety of benefits, and each one will gleefully toot their own horn. Each product/strategy has its own benefits, and the "right" answer for any given shop depends a lot on what they are doing, what they have now, and what they need. There isn't any "one size fits all" solution that I know about, and nothing makes me think that such a thing is comming in the forseable future.

-PatP

One of the biggest factors playing out the decision making is the budget, and while the price does somewhat reflect the quality, it may not be a true indicator.

With 2K5 you should also consider dbmirroring and even db snapshots. And with win2k3 you might look into majority quorum clustering.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."