Unanswered: sp_spaceused result

Hi,
    I ran sp_spaceused against a DB table, and got -160K in the field "unused". If anybody can explain what this negative number means?
    We have a problem with performance. It's extremly slow. The table contains 600,000 records. Even simple select * from <table> (table scan) takes 6 minutes. This is SQL Server2000.
    Any help is appreciated.

Provided Answers: 54
    The negative number means that your database statistics are out of date. You need to run sp_updatestats.

-PatP

Thank you so much! I've just run it. I'm glad I made a right decision. And hopefuly, it will improve the performance.

After I ran sp_updatestats the problem is still there. Field unused -176K !!!!
    Please help!!!!
    Thanks

does this table have a clustered index?

I had a similar problem recently with a much larger table (700m rows) on 2005. Even this simple query would not return - it just hung:

select top 1 * from bigboy

I rebuilt the clustered index (the only index on the table), and things were good again.

No, this table has just one non-clustered index, on one field. sp_spaceused returns -176K in unused field even after sp_updatestast was applied.