Unanswered: Help - Report is combining records

I have a report with a customer's last name as the main group heading. When I select print preview, the report combines the records of customers with the same last name. How do I seperate these records so they are not printed together?

You need to change the gouping to match the Primary Key of the Customers Table. If you have a Customer ID number, group by that.

If you don't have a Customer ID number, how do you keep John Smith in Los Angeles separate from John Smith in NewYork?

"Yes, I suppose it does help to put my Customer ID number in the grouping field," he replied sheepishly.

Thanks for pointing out my rookie oversight.

I didn't like the result I was getting from using the primary key (customers are not entered in alphabetical order, so using the primary key - Record ID (autonumber field) - screwed up the order). I did discover this, however...
    1. Put the Last Name as first in the grouping box and mark it as a group header.
    2. Sort ascending.
    3. Put the First Name next without the header selection.
    4. Sort ascending.
    That would seem to be the easy solution for us rookies.

Provided Answers: 59
    that sounds a little contrived, if you dont mind me saying

you could set your reports sequence to be customer surname & forenames (either as a composite, or primary & secondary) but dont use any group headers & footers, then declare another grouping, customer ID and put your grouping in there. That way round you will not have a problem if you have more than one customer with the same surname & forenames
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I see what you mean about the need to not sidestep things, but do it the right way.

However, I still do not see how to sort my report records alphabetically if I am having to use the Customer ID. The report still sorts the records by the ID number.

No, No, I'm a dunce. I just figured it out. I did not know that the top field in the grouping and sorting box did not have to be a group header. Now there's an "aha" moment. Thanks for the directions.