Thread: second log file

Unanswered: second log file

how do i create a second log file in sql server 2000?? my current one is 56gb and i can't back it up anywhere

Sweet Jesus!

OK, so creating an additional log file is quite simple.
    In Enterprise Manager, expand down to your database & Right-click and go to Properties. In the Transaction-Log tab you will see a extra space where you can enter a second logical log filename, and browse for a location for the second log file.

It is very crucial that if you have Automatic File Growth turned on, that you set limits on your logfiles. In the lower portion of the window you will see this. If you leave the file as un-restricted, you will fill up your hard-drive like you are seeing right now.

Also, make sure that your scheduled transaction-log backups are working. Backing up the transaction log is the easiest way to shrink it's filesize down.
    There is a great guide for best practices of backing up your data & log files found here...
    http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.co...166473,00.html

I wish you luck in getting this sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by ricka49
    how do i create a second log file in sql server 2000?? my current one is 56gb and i can't back it up anywhere

You may have to do whay I did. Try and run the backup log command with truncate_only option. Then run the dbcc shrinkfile command. If you have a network storage you could backup to that or go buy you a network storage.