Red face Unanswered: match positive and negative amounts (was "Urgent help needed with query criteria")

I have a query 'pos' that extracts all the positive amounts from a table called client_os and another query 'neg' that extracts all the negative amounts from the same table both were the os_amt is <> 0.

I also have 2 other queries (uniquepos and uniqueneg) that would match the osamt field in 'pos' and 'neg' and remove the record(s) that are of the same value in both 'pos' and 'neg'. Example if neg has ($200.00) and pos has
    ($200.00) it would remove the record. This works but I want it to only match the records where the client number is the same in other words in the example above if the client number and value is the same in both 'pos' and 'neg' I want it to matchup and remove but if the client number is different I want it to remain. I attempted to put the client number in the criteria but was unsuccessful

Below is the SQL code for uniquepos and uniqueneg:

Uniquepos:
    SELECT Pos.osamt, Pos.ClientNo, Pos.ClientName, Pos.Address1, Pos.Address2, Pos.Address3, Pos.Address4, Pos.invdate, Pos.Invno, Pos.PolicyNo, Pos.amount, Pos.Taxamt, Pos.Receiptamt, Pos.Currcode
    FROM Pos LEFT JOIN Neg ON Pos.osamt=abs(Neg.osamt)
    WHERE (((Neg.osamt) Is Null));

Uniqueneg:
    SELECT Neg.osamt, Neg.ClientNo, Neg.ClientName, Neg.Address1, Neg.Address2, Neg.Address3, Neg.Address4, Neg.invdate, Neg.Invno, Neg.PolicyNo, Neg.amount, Neg.Taxamt, Neg.Receiptamt, Neg.currcode
    FROM Neg LEFT JOIN Pos ON Neg.osamt=Pos.osamt*-1
    WHERE (((Pos.osamt) Is Null));

Try joining pos and neg on client number and setting the criteria for pos.osamt <> abs(neg.osamt).

I tried your suggestion (code below) but was unsuccessful. For each positive it gave all the negatives that were not equal to that positive.

SELECT Neg.osamt, Pos.osamt, Pos.ClientNo, Pos.FirstName, Pos.LastName, Pos.Address1, Pos.Address2, Pos.City, Pos.Country, Pos.TransDate, Pos.InvoiceNo, Pos.PolicyNo, Pos.TransAmt, Pos.TaxAmt, Pos.ReceiptAmt, Pos.Currency
    FROM Pos, Neg
    WHERE pos.clientno = neg.clientno
    and pos.osamt <> abs(neg.osamt)

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi

Shouldn't it be

SELECT Neg.osamt, Pos.osamt, Pos.ClientNo, Pos.FirstName, Pos.LastName, Pos.Address1, Pos.Address2, Pos.City, Pos.Country, Pos.TransDate, Pos.InvoiceNo, Pos.PolicyNo, Pos.TransAmt, Pos.TaxAmt, Pos.ReceiptAmt, Pos.Currency
    FROM Pos INNER JOIN Neg ON pos.clientno = neg.clientno
    WHERE pos.osamt = abs(neg.osamt)

??

MTB

Thanks - that worked but it brought up another problem with the code. If Client A has 2 debits for say $100.00 and 1 credit for ($100.00) what the code is doing is applying the 1 credit to both of the debits. How do I apply the 1 credit to 1 of the debits of the same amount?

Any help would be appreciated.