Unanswered: Cursor Position in a Inputbox

How can I set the cursor in a Inputbox in order it position itself automatically to receive additional input (bottom in the figure) instead of select the default value (top in the figure) as it is the default configuration?

Thanks for help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Figura1.jpg  

in MyTextBox_GotFocus() use
    MyTextBox.SelStart = Len(MyTextBox)

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Provided Answers: 19
    I've never been able to figure out why, but izy's code will only work if you tab into the field. If you want to use your mouse to click into the field, you also need to add this, otherwise the cursor will insert at the point where it was when you clicked, not at the end of the field:

Code:
    Private Sub MyTextBox_Click()
         MyTextBox.SelStart = Len(MyTextBox)
    End Sub
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thanks Izy and Missinglinq for help.

The code works well in a textbox. But I didn´t be able to declare it for a inputbox. I don´t know a code to specify the focus on a inputbox.
    Any additional help?

Crocco.

What kind of Dialog box (Input box) are you using? Did you design your own popup form or use the ActiveX Dialog box?
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

Hi Missinglinq

I´m using a popup form automatically created by the instruction inputbox that returns a value to a variable like:

varFuro = InputBox("Assistente de Criaçăo de Novos Furos", "Furo de Sondagem", nFuroVal)

Crocco.

i don't think you can manipulate the standard input box, but i don't use them so i could be wrong.

?? make a form that looks like an input box, then you have full control.
    open the form with
    docmd.openform "myFakeInputPrompt",,,,,acdialog
    so the user is locked into the form until it is closed.

if varFuro is public, the fake form form_unload could
    varFuro = me.txtboxFakeInput
    to take the input back again

izy

I use the same technique as izy, rather than the Inputbox function. Inputboxes like messageboxes are limited in how you can manipulate them. The only other thing I can think of is to go:

Tools->Options->Keyboard

And under Behavior Entering Field select Go to End of Field and see if that does it.
    Hope this helps!

I use izy's technique rather than the Inputbox function. Inputboxes like messageboxes are limited in the manipulation they allow. The only other thing I can think of to try is to go to:

Tools->Options->Keyboard

then under Behavior Entering Field select Go to End of Field and see if that works.
    Hope this helps!

Thanks Missinglinq and Izy.

I´ve learned a lot. It´s working.

As you see I´m new here and an amateur in Access development. So, give me a chance for one more (porbably very simple) question.

I have a form with 3 fields entered by the user:
    Initial_length
    Final_length
    Recovered_length

And 1 calculated field:
    Total length = Initial_length - Final_length

I created a check on LostFocus() of Recovered_length in order to confirm that value entered is not > Total_length.

Sometimes when Recovered_Length = Total_length, but not always, Access returns that Recovered > Total_Length and invalidate the operation.

For example: for Initial_length = 85.7 and Final_length = 87.25 it returns a Total length = 1.550003. Why? How?

Is it a problem in the definition of the fields or variables?

1) You don't explain the relationship of Recovered_Length to the other values

2) We really need to see your actual code calculating and comparing values

3) We need to know whether these numbers are defined as long, single, double etc
    Hope this helps!

Float Imprecision

i strongly favour 3) as the explanation to the mystery. you are almost certainly using Single or Double somewhere in the tables or calculations - if you switch to Currency throughout you will be fine. you will have a fun time tracking down all the Singles and Doubles in your application!

i had a little demo of floating point imprecision here but it seems to have fallen off the site so i attach it again here.

izy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ok Izy.

Fantastic. That´s it. I´d spent a time trying between single and double and I couldn´t image they created this kind of problem.

Thanks.