Unanswered: Cannot find System.mdw

Greetings, Colleagues All!
    I have a somewhat strange phenomenon occurring when opening Access and I would appreciate advice on whether I should worry about it (except for its nuisance value of course.

Until last week, I could open an Access database by navigating to the directory where the .mdb file is stored and double-clicking on the file. Now, I get a message stating that the file System.mdw cannot be found.

If I open Access in a general mode, either from the Start menu or from a Desktop shortcut and then use the internal navigator (more files ...) to the location of the same .mdb file and click on Open, everything works just fine.

I searched MSDN and was advised that the location of System.mdw is stored in the Registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\9.0\A ccess\Jet\4.0\DBEngines. (This is for Access 2000). Sure enough, I found a variable called SystemDB at that location quoting the address C:\Program Files\Common Files\System. I confirmed that a copy of System.mdw is located there.

I have tried to remember what prior occurrences could have triggered off this change in behaviour and only two seem valid possibilities. One was a MS update (Office 2000 only gets security updates these days). The other was a phenomenon which occurs sometimes when I open certain pages on the Internet and a message comes up that MS Office 2000 needs to do an update and would I please put the appropriate CD in my machine. Usually, I cancel this, because it is too tedious to repeat this procedure often. Perhaps, I upset something.

Can anyone advise what is happening and whether it is dangerous, please.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hello Again, Colleagues All,

Well, I have a solution of sorts, but it is not all that satisfactory.

I should preface my assumed solution by saying that i run Access 2000 as part of Office 2000, but i also have an independent version of Access 2003 on board for the benefit of clients running the later version.

What I think happened is that Microsoft, when checking my system for updates, noticed Access 2003 and downloaded Office updates which were not in tune with Office 2000 (which should have been limited only to security updates, on account of its age). What I did was, I went to the .mdb file, right-clicked on the name and clicked on Open. This offered me three alternatives; the secured version, indicated with a key and which could not find system.mdw, Access 2000 and Access 2003. I selected Access 2000 and a dialogue box came up asking me to insert the Office CD. I did this and all was restored. I assume that the repair was effected which put back the original setup and wiped out the earlier changes.

I hope this info is useful.

Blessed be the name of Microsoft for giving us so many intricate problems to solve !